Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Apple HomeKit

To integrate arlo into the Apple Home Kit would be a great improvement.

Now I have a great camera system with an app, a weather station with an app and some other sensors in the Apple home kit and they do not work together. 

E.g. an alarm could be triggered by the motion sensor of the camera or the camera could be switched on by a door or windows sensor even if the motion sensor is not activated because the object is too far away and so on. There are a lot of possibilities with connecting the systems. 

Is this planned to do?

Comments
ronnyromero
Follower

at this rate, the option has to be on a new device. The current Arlo Pro was and still is a good device, but it is already outdated; there are some 4k capable cameras already, even with HDR, and almost all the current options are at least 1080p, while the Arlo Pro is 720p. Codecs are also in the brink of being outdated with h.265 going mainstream in 2 weeks active in more than 1.2billion apple devices.

PBA
Observer
Observer

Logitech are now supporting HomeKit with a firmware update. One more reason not to buy Arlo. Come on guys, time is running out for my buying decision. I like Arlo, but Logitech have a HomeKit camera solution for me now.

speedlimiter
Aspirant
Logitech is only supporting HomeKit with the wired version of their camera as per Apples guidelines.  That means the battery powered Arlos are out of luck. 
ittroll
Apprentice

Although battery powered Arlos do have a wired base station (the Logitech model does not). 

Blag
Star

I agree.  This is a must, and could be an easy answer to address some complaints regarding the motion-sensing range being inadequate.  For example, I have an Ecobee3 thermostat with motion/temperature sensors throughout the house.  These sensors are for the Ecobee system, but since Ecobee is HomeKit enabled, I'm able to use those sensors to do other things, such as turn on the lights in the living room if someone walks through there at night.  Similarly (if Arlo was HomeKit enabled), you could have these same Ecobee motion sensors trigger a certain camera to record or to sound the Arlo alarm, for example.

Since Apple just opened-up software authentication with HomeKit in iOS 11, I would hope this is now a possiblity for Netgear to enable in existing Arlo systems with a firmware upgrade.

I also believe that this would help drive more sales of Arlo systems, especially since there's currently only ONE security camera that works in the HomeKit environment (2 others are announced).  Seems like a win-win.

kennysamuerto
Follower

I very much agree. For example, in my case, I have a sensor at the front door of my house, which I can tell you that when it closes, the ARLO cameras are activated.

Therefore, I don't have to activate them manually, nor do I have to use iOS geolocation with the consequent battery saving.

And above all, what he says about the fact that there is only one camera compatible with HomeKit. Moving forward on this issue will give you competitive advantages in terms of sales. Sure.

ARLO only has one thing left to be perfect. Be compatible with HomeKit.

ajcolon
Novice

It will be great if we could use Arlo cameras with Apple Home Kit for motion detection etc...

cvargas
Aspirant
Would love to be able to use my apple homekit with the Arlo system. will make my home automation experience even better. I just hate to have to use various apps to control my home.
keithws
Initiate
At least let us arm and disarm Arlo with Siri!  That would be a great first step.
alexxmc77
Guide
HomeKit support for Arlo cameras’