Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Apple HomeKit Secure Video

Apple announced a new service called Homekit Secure Video...they announced three companies that will start implementing it but unfortunately arlo was not amongst them...I hope arlo announces and enables this service in addition to the promised by not yet seen Homekit integration.
Comments
Is there way to adjust the sensitivity of the motion detection for HomeKit integration? For my hue motion sensors, the sensitivity can be adjusted via the Hue app and it affects Home.
When I adjust motion sensitivity in Arlo, it has no impact on the motion for Home notifications. This limits what I can accomplish with home automations as it is far to sensitive at its default.
MShep84
Guide
Has anyone tried Arlo Cameras in iOS 14. Does the new HomeKit features work, facial recognition, zones etc?
phillip_u
Onlooker

New to this thread and I haven't had the time to read it all but it seems like Arlo has not committed to answering this as yet but I also suspect that one reason might be that HSV would seemingly bypass a significant revenue stream for Arlo in the form of Smart subscriptions thus making them a hardware only company for HomeKit users. Or am I misunderstanding how HSV works?

On the flip side, the benefit to camera manufacturers is that they don't have to build their own video hosting service with AI/ML since the Apple devices themselves are doing the AI stuff. So in a way, Apple is doing them a favor by providing such a robust and secure option to

illuminous
Apprentice

@phillip_u in theory you are correct. If Arlo added HSV they may lose their subscription revenue. But this isn’t necessarily true. Arlo could charge a fee to allow the activation of HSV. This would be similar to how BMW used to charge for CarPlay. Whilst this may deter some people, others like myself would be more than happy to pay as I already pay for Arlo a Smart. There’s no doubt the Arlo hardware is top notch, it is just let down by the software and the unbelievably slow cloud processing for Arlo Smart. 

I’ve seen HSV on EufyCam first hand and it is amazing, even before the new iOS 14 features. It takes my Front Door Arlo camera about 10/15 seconds to provide an Arlo Smart alert. The Eufy cam I tried took about 2-5 second as processing was being done on my local AppleTV. 

dpl
Guide
Guide

Their official statement regarding HomeKit Secure Video.

It's a real let down.

https://twitter.com/ask_arlo/status/1276575041099116544?s=21

phillip_u
Onlooker

@dpl 

Yes, very disappointing. Since it seems like it won’t be added, I’ve just returned my five Arlo Ultra cameras. Thankfully, they let us know within my return period. I guess I’ll look into something else. 

illuminous
Apprentice

@phillip_u 

Give EufyCam a try, works really well with HSV. They are also very active in responding to customer feedback and are always updating their apps/software, unlike Arlo that seem to just be pumping out new hardware.

stephan_t
Fledgling

Just got my three Arlo Ultras today and was so surprised they didn't fully support Homekit. Obviously I didn't read enough before getting them. And then the official statement via Twitter that they have no plan to support HSV was really disappointing! My Arlo cameras are being returned as we speak....

I bet Arlo will have to change their mind about this is the future if they will continue as an independent company.

dpl
Guide
Guide

@MShep84 : Sure iOS 14 is bringing some great new features to cameras. Makes me jealous! But all of this requires HomeKit Secure Video, which Arlo has no plans to implement.

https://twitter.com/ask_arlo/status/1276575041099116544?s=21

More and more comments can be found from people either saying they will buy competitors like Eufy instead, or will simply sell their Arlo and buy something else that supports it. It's a real shame because Arlo has superior hardware.

Jack_33
Fledgling

I just returned my Arlo to Costco today. Thankfully they have a great return policy. Arlo withholding HomeKit Secure Video was a dealbreaker for me -- no use in a half-baked product, especially when the flaw is a security issue. Subscribing to Arlo's service wasn't a viable alternative for me when HomeKit Secure Video provided both better privacy and a better user experience. I'm excited to receive my new Logitech Circle View and test it out!