Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Apple HomeKit Secure Video

Apple announced a new service called Homekit Secure Video...they announced three companies that will start implementing it but unfortunately arlo was not amongst them...I hope arlo announces and enables this service in addition to the promised by not yet seen Homekit integration.
Comments
illuminous
Apprentice

I just had the opportunity to see HomeKit Secure Video in action with a Logitech Circle 2 camera. First off I’ll say that the Arlo hardware is definitely superior to the Circle 2 in my opinion. 

Beyond that, HomeKit Secure Video and managing the camera through the Home app blows away Arlo! 

The ridiculous lag that exists on every Arlo product, which gets even worse when using Arlo Smart, is non-existent with HomeKit Secure Video. It took about about 1.5 seconds on average to receive a Person/Animal/Vehicle notification and video stream was able to start so much quicker. My Arlo Pro 2, from the point of actual trigger to getting the notification to starting the video stream is usually about 15 seconds, if not more. Until Arlo accepts that processing of video needs to be done locally on a Home Hub, it will never be able to compete. My family laughs at me all the time when I run outside to catch the mailman when he is detected on Arlo, only to find when I get outside he is halfway down the street. 

What was also so amazing was how you could integrate the smart devices with the HomeKit Secure Video device. So in the same notification screen for motion, my friend was able to toggle his August Smart Lock immediately to unlock the front door. This is obviously in addition to the more automated things like toggling on/off lights etc that you can do. So you can receive an alert and have a subsequent action completed in seconds, which would probably take me 30 seconds or more with Arlo. He also mentioned HomeKit Secure Video will soon support Facial Recognition, so it will know who is being detected. 

I’ve seen that a number of other camera providers will shortly release new products supporting HomeKit Secure Video. As soon as my Arlo Smart subscription runs out, I’m making the switch rather than upgrading to Arlo Ultra/Pro 3. I’d encourage other Apple/HomeKit users to take a look.

Poweruser86
Fledgling

@illuminous 

While some Arlo cameras support HomeKit integration, zero cameras currently support HomeKit Secure Video, so don't go wasting money on Ultras (which I have and can confirm don't support Secure Video) or Pro 3s if Secure Video support is a must have.

jwm911
Onlooker

Thanks for that review Illuminous, very illuminating!

To be honest I just want to chime in to say how furious I am that after spending over $2,000 on two base stations and five Ultra cameras I find out "HomeKit support" comes with a giant asterisk. Why does Arlo's top end product have less support than the cheaper ones? I understand if this is a staged roll-out and it takes time to support each type of camera, but clearly there's no intention to support this at all, it's pitiful. 

After spending so much money I'm stuck with these now but will never buy another Arlo product I can assure you.

DaveM8686
Star

@jwm911 what do you mean the cheaper ones have more support? The Pros can do more than the Ultras?

illuminous
Apprentice

The problem is Arlo will never support proper HomeKit. They incorrectly believe that the only way to make money is to have their own ecosystem and provide limited links to others. This will, in the end, be the failure of Arlo.

People invest heavily into HomeKit or Google Home etc. Smart homes are no longer only the product of the tech savvy, everyone is jumping on board. People don’t want to battle to integrate 50 different systems. 

chasubao
Fledgling

Did Arlo add HomeKit Secure Video? I just checked Apple’s webpage and it has Arlo listed as a compatible product. 

illuminous
Apprentice

No unfortunately they haven’t added HomeKit secure video. The Apple site still shows it is not supported.

Sdca7718
Onlooker

Nope, they mentioned that they were not adding it. The list shows HomeKit, the dots next to the cameras shows HomeKit secure video.

Once there is a solid competitor that has secure video, I’m out. Right now my money is leaning towards EufyCam. They have a chance to change my mind if they were to add support, until then I’ve given up with Arlo. They used to be free until they wanted what everyone else wants, monthly subscriptions. I know secure video costs money but it is better integrated and I already pay for the extra for storage with Apple.

illuminous
Apprentice

EufyCam’s that will shortly be released are the way to go. Once released, I’ll see what Arlo have done and if it’s still as bad as now I’ll be making the switch.

jwm911
Onlooker

@DaveM8686 apologies, I thought I'd read somewhere that the Pro2 had HomeKit Secure Video support but as @illuminous said, seems it does not.

I am not that fussed about monthly subscriptions, to me it is about privacy and security, that's why I want HomeKit Secure Video. Frankly it makes me incredibly uneasy that the Arlo's stream video to a service I have zero insight into the security of - but the fact basic things like two factor auth are missing does not give me much hope it's any good. When I bought them, I thought I was making a temporary trade off while awaiting Secure Video support, but that seems to have been a poor assumption.

EufyCam's look very interesting, I will probably wear the wasted cost of the Arlo's and switch to those too if they do HomeKit Secure Video.