Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Apple HomeKit Secure Video

Apple announced a new service called Homekit Secure Video...they announced three companies that will start implementing it but unfortunately arlo was not amongst them...I hope arlo announces and enables this service in addition to the promised by not yet seen Homekit integration.
Comments
XZX
Novice
Novice

Jimkas, this thread is regarding the specific new HomeKit feature, "Apple HomeKit Secure Video," which is not the same as HomeKit support as a video/motion device. Apple HomeKit Secure Video is a feature similar to Netgear's storage options extended to their cameras (where they offer free and paid tiers), except on Apple's secure services and benefiting from Apple's general commitment to privacy.

I, too, am not sure if Arlo will extend support for these features as they compete with Arlo's monetization of this product. But I will be abandoning Arlo if support for these features is ultimately decided against. Privacy is my chief concern when it comes to internet-connected video devices.

TruePanthersFan
Onlooker

New here, just purchased the Arlo Ultra 2pk. I sold my entire Nest setup planning on going all Arlo since they announced HK and the new doorbell, but if they won’t support HK secure video I’m going to buy my 8 cams and 2 doorbells from EufyCam. Loving everything about Arlo so far. Planned on buying a 5pk for myself for Christmas 😔... should I cancel my order on the doorbell??

mac_evangelist
Onlooker

For me it is the same. If HomeKit Secure Video is not supported I will change to EufyCam as well.

Jimkas
Onlooker

I still believe that the Arlo cameras are the best out there.  You *do* realize I hope that Arlo does integrate with Home Kit, but it does *not* (yet) integrate with the secure video function.  How long do you really need to save video online?  I've owned Arlo cameras for over two years now, and have never needed to keep a video for more that they free 7 day period.  For the few videos that I've needed to keep, I simply download and store them on my own.

TruePanthersFan
Onlooker

I bought these because I think it’s Nest best competitor that had HomeKit integration. HomeKit secure video would be free for me since I already have the required iCloud storage so it’s a no brainer.  Plus I get full control and streaming within the home app.

mac_evangelist
Onlooker

While my whole environment is linked via HomeKit and I already have 1TB data storage. I go with a solution that works with it. 

lewpiper
Aspirant

I really would like to see Arlo embrace HomeKit Secure Video. Having just purchased a two camera Ultra I’m on the fence about returning it. 

I love the cameras and the features are great. However I’m deeply invested in the Apple ecosystem and even went to Apple to buy the cameras. 

I would hope they would reconsider and support the technology there. My concern is that they are placing the profits of their yearly subscription first. 

cphx
Fledgling

Count me in on this one. I love that Arlo has added HomeKit support, but supporting HomeKit Secure Video would be a system seller for me. 

I'm ready to drop some cash on a bunch of cameras and also recommend a system to my parents — help me out here, Arlo. 😉

smb1913
Fledgling

Well, my family and I have been monitoring whether the "Secure Video" feature would be supported by Arlo anytime soon, and unfortunately, it does not appear though Arlo is very concerned about adding this feature, or commenting on whether it is working on future support. This is very disappointing, since most of our extended family are Apple users and are more comfortable with Apple having access to their video and data, as well as ease of use. It was our intention to purchase several Arlo Pro 2 starter systems, additional cameras, charging stations, mounting brackets, etc for our extended family as well as ourselves, but will be looking at alternative options. We feel bad for those who already purchased the Arlo system, expecting or hoping for "Secure Video" support.

Jorge_Prome
Fledgling

Hi guys,

I am looking at Apple site and it’s listed as Arlo Pro 2 supports secured video. Can someone confirm. I want to buy Arlo but wanted to confirm. 

https://www.apple.com/ios/home/accessories/#section-camera