Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras|NETGEAR
0 Likes

Anti theft protection

Whilst other suggestions of having anti-theft protection via the software making it " non syncable", this won't prevent the physical loss of an expensive camera.

A "Physical Barrier"/Security cage mount would be better.

I have experiment by building my own from heavy duty 25mm mesh, however the IR Reflections made it unusable. I did paint with matt black but no different.

Have now developed a great alternative by purchasing cheap Caged Bunker wall lights from a hardware store, scrapping everything except the base and cage. Cameras are now mounted behind bars 🖒

Please look at developing something similar for the many users requiring piece of mind.

They would need to be priced under US$10 as that's all it cost me to develop my own.

Photos available!

5 Comments
664 Follower
Follower

664 wrote:

Whilst other suggestions of having anti-theft protection via the software making it " non syncable", this won't prevent the physical loss of an expensive camera.

A "Physical Barrier"/Security cage mount would be better.

I have experiment by building my own from heavy duty 25mm mesh, however the IR Reflections made it unusable. I did paint with matt black but no different.

Have now developed a great alternative by purchasing cheap Caged Bunker wall lights from a hardware store, scrapping everything except the base and cage. Cameras are now mounted behind bars 🖒

Please look at developing something similar for the many users requiring piece of mind.

They would need to be priced under US$10 as that's all it cost me to develop my own.

Photos available!

New modification to include magnetic ball mount.

Not skilled enough to cut window in glass diffuser so cut and old cctv camera dome in half as a shroud (second photo).20170730_153216.jpg20170730_153323.jpg

Fledgling

Thank you for sharing.  Yes, a cage option available from Arlo would be very much appreciated.  Although I would love to see a $10 price tag, I imagine that many of us who are not as handy as you would be willing to pay quite a bit more.  Let me know if you decide to create these to resell.

Does anyone think Arlo will create and sell a version of a cage anytime in the near future?

Fledgling

I’ve made my own mounts with aluminium junction boxes and replaced the screws with torx screws just for added security.

it’s not totally theft proof but I just tried to make it as difficult as possibleD8BAA659-C120-4730-BA67-468F0E8BC1B3.jpeg

AFF8351E-24D4-4AC4-8C74-9587BA033991.jpeg2F4B1620-D109-4CBC-95E6-9B0EA80AE405.jpeg3FA7C725-78F1-45B6-B5E4-2D2D529BD931.jpegA6FAB347-4A87-4C26-AA4A-A0B66C3C0C4F.jpeg49E7A452-62FE-4BFC-B573-83FA99D2591A.jpeg

Aspirant

Gotta find a way to protect my outdoor camera from theft. Arlo's "anti-theft" mount is not at all "anti-theft". The camera simply unsrews. It takes 5 seconds to unscrew!!

Also, maintaining a data base of all registered cameras would be a great deterent to having your stolen camera show up on Ebay.

Fledgling

Great ideas, but I'd prefer a no cost remedy, whatever solution is used.  We've already paid a substatial sum for these devices, which without such protection, are of questionable value.  Even though Arlo's recording of the theft may be possible, this "defense" can easily defeated by wearing a ski mask or other type mask, when approaching the camera. 

Why not include sensors and an alarm within the camera, that senses and goes off if/when the camera is removed from the base, without disarming the feature first.