Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Allow offline data to be available for remote areas where High Speed internet is not available

I have read through lots of information here about Internet problems.  I contacted support and was frankly told that the Arlo security system will not work without the internet being connected. I was also informed that the micro- USB port is for future upgrades of the base station only.

Internet disruptions are rare but do occur.  My internet provider was down for 12 hours.  During that time the Arlo system was useless, even with it connected to a working router with working LAN.

I think that it would be in the best interest of Arlo-Netgear, and all of its costomers, for Arlo-Netgear to develop and impliment a firware update for the base and/or cameras so the Arlo cameras can record via LAN either to a computer, external hard disc drive, or other storage device when the internet is disrupted, even if it is required that the recording(s) will later upload to the Arlo-Netgear servers as record for later viewing and/or downloaded by the camera system owners, in the event that there is an actual security breach.

Or if that is impossible, then offer a base station that has 3G or 4G mobile connection, in the event that the WAN interent service is disrupted.

Comments
jguerdat
Guru

Certain routers, such as my Asus RT-N66U, offer the capability of a 3/4G failover (i've never even looked into it). Local recording would be nice but doesn't solve every problem.  There's weaknesses in any approach - you just have to decide what you comfort level is.

john1005
Guide

I hope that Arlo-Netgear will come up with future solutions.

jguerdat wrote:

Certain routers, such as my Asus RT-N66U, offer the capability of a 3/4G failover (i've never even looked into it). Local recording would be nice but doesn't solve every problem.  There's weaknesses in any approach - you just have to decide what you comfort level is.

Susquatch
Star

Approximately 1/3 of North Americans live in remote areas where High Speed Internet is either not available or is very slow speed.  Cloud based operations do not work well if at all.  All the hardware is already there to support full off-line data storage.  Please impliment appropriate changes to allow optional full off-line usage of all this wonderful Arlo hardware by farmers like me.

I expect that a few very minor firmware/software tweaks could allow the system to validate itself on a slow speed internet connection and then be configurable to store all video content on a local attached or NAS device.  Notifications can be done on a slow speed internet connection, but images and video cannot.

Good Luck  

Lemurzz
Follower

I would think that having a UPS that you have the Arlo base station plugged into. I am posting that the Arlo team re-design their 120v plug. As it is right now it takes up 2 to 3 spaces on the back of my UPS which is totally unacceptable. I have 2 other device that also have the low voltage in their 120v plug and both of them are configured that they do not take up anymore than one space as do most 120v plugs without covering up other receptacles on the UPS. In fact they should offer a nice UPS as an accessory or link to a site that sells a reasonable UPS. I do agree that there this is a weakness in most security systems and why they have a battery just for those times when you lose power or a burgular throws a breaker.

JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived - Not Enough Votes