Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Allow cameras/Base Station to connect to mesh network.

I understand that currently the only way to extend range for connecting multiple Arlo Pro cameras, apart from better placement of the Base Station, is to use multiple Base Stations, which then have separate configurations, separate arming, and separate rule sets.

Netgear must surely have mesh network technology, so why not apply that to Base Stations, so multiple Base Stations (or some new Base Station Extender) can act together as a single network, providing excellent camera connectivy over a wide area?

By reapplying technology you already have, you would be making customers happy (a number of people have commented about non-optimal extension options), while selling more product and encouraging larger installations.  I would buy one, so there's one sale :-).

Comments
Jayf0re
Fledgling

Agree completely.  Multiple base stations would seem to be the best way to extend the range, and give the supplemental base station the ability to act as a "base station repeater" of sorts.  I have a need for this very thing, so I can put a camera behind my garage.  It's too far back to work at this point.

Bjanderson70
Aspirant

Yes, will need tofind a better to connect the cameras effectively given my distance from the base and outside cameras

Jeff_Manning
Onlooker

I have several Pro 2 cameras and a Q plus as well as some Wyze cameras to cover areas where the base station signal does not reach (like a detached garage or other buildings).  I have Single Mode Fiber connecting everything at 10Gbps+ and Access Points in all these locations.  Will I ever be able to connect the Arlo Cameras to the existing WiFi in these locations like the Wyze cameras do?  The Arlo cameras are already connecting to a WiFi signal named NETGEARxx, so it seems like it would be pretty easy to let us join them to an existing network and manage them like the Q plus does on wired PoE... 

Thanks,

Jeff

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi Jeff_Manning,

Are you saying that some of your Arlo Pro 2 cameras signal are not working where your Wyze camera is located at? If so, read this article to learn how to extend the range of your Arlo system: How can I extend the range of my Arlo system?

Jeff_Manning
Onlooker

Are you saying that some of your Arlo Pro 2 cameras signal are not working where your Wyze camera is located at? - YES

The article provided does not cover user who already have a Mesh Network or (like me) wired Network with multiple APs without adding multiple base stations.

Will we ever be able to just use our existing WiFi?  Why do we need to add additional equipment in areas that already have good WiFi coverage?  We can even advertise the NETGEARxx SSID if needed...  Also, the NETGEARxx SSID from my base station is on channel 8 of the 2.4Ghz spectrum, why is it not choosing one of the on-overlapping channels 1,6,11?

JoolsBC
Fledgling

Hi, 

The requirement for the cameras to connect directly to the arlo base wifi network is seriously limiting in large house / multi camera set ups. Cameras need to be able to connect to the hub via an existing mesh network and Arlo needs to not impose the 'security' restriction as an excuse for not resolving this....(!).

At the moment, my significant investment is serious limited as a result. 

Please can this feature be developed urgently?

Thanks

JoolsBC
Fledgling
Yes! Arlo, please can you let us know when you're adding this? It's killing my system.
Chriso1113
Aspirant

Will Arlo adapt and start to work with Eero mesh network? I have some network issues and man would that help and be amazing!

StephenB
Guru

@Chriso1113 wrote:

Will Arlo adapt and start to work with Eero mesh network? I have some network issues and man would that help and be amazing!

The WireFree camera requires a base station - which currently only connects to your home network with ethernet.

Chriso1113
Aspirant
Future state will they ever work with a mesh network then?