Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Alerts Should Lead Directly to Live View OR Recording and eliminate the constant login requirement

I've experimented with several security cameras over the past few weeks, and Ring has the best alerting implementation BY FAR. When a motion alert is received from Ring, it leads directly to a Live View of the event. If you view the alert some time AFTER the event, it leads directly to the Recording of the event. I never precisely timed this, but if roughly 20 to 30 seconds had elapsed after the motion event occurred, Ring was smart enough skip the live view, and take you to the recording. This was MUCH more elegant and faster than what Netgear is doing now with Arlo.

Nest also has a nice alerting method that shows a short video clip of the event embedded in the alert itself. Apparently this has been previously suggested on this forum, and it is marked as coming soon...which is great!

I'm currently testing Blink XT as well as Arlo Pro 2. Arlo is SIGNIFICANTLY higher quality than Blink, but I am really surprised that I can get to the Blink event video faster than Arlo's. Blink's alert always leads directly to the event. No additional taps or logins. This still isn't better than Ring's method, but it shows that Netgear has some work to do.

If embedded alert videos are coming soon, then my suggestion is to blend this with the Ring implementation. If we view the alert quickly, send us directly to the Live View. If we view the alert later, send us to the Recording. No additional taps or delays. While you're at it, eliminate the constant login requirement. My phone is very secure already.

Comments
MVN
Guide
Guide

I totally agree with everything you stated. I can only hope Arlo listens and improve notifications without taking that additional step. I have a Ring doorbell and Spot Cam and they have the best notifications short, and direct.

MVN

When the app pops up a notification, is there anyway to go directly to the recording of the motion event?
JV09
Novice

When Mobile alert notification is received on my phone and clicked it automatically takes you to your devices instead of actually streaming the camera live and continue to record the live stream. 

rwilkins
Novice

some time ago an update to the arlo app on my iphone started requiring me to login even though I have a finger access. This is not good since I could be attempting to see a burglar who has triggered one of my cameras. Now I need to take the time to login. Since I don't always remember my password I have to look it up. In the meantime I still have not seen my camera visual. I don't know how to eliminate this login. IT IS NOT WANTED

Nboerner
Follower
Please go straight to live view when we open the app instead of having to press the play button. Other less expensive brands have this as an option in settings. When we want to see our yard...we want to see it without fumbling and having to hit more buttons. It should automatically open to live view when a camera senses motion and sends an alert too. Time is everything here