Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Alerting Mechanism for Base Station / Camera Offline

Our installation will be very remote beach house. There is a need for mains failure detection in case intruder has deliberately switched of the power. This would be a nice sofware update feature.

Comments
ant
Mentor
Mentor

... from firmware upgrades, power outages, disconnections, etc. This would be useful for those who wants the details. 🙂

timcode
Follower

I'd love to receive an alert on my phone if the Arlo/Netgear server loses communication with my base station, or if the base station loses communication with a camera, while motion detection is on.

My guess is that this would require a level of connection that doesn't exist between base and server, but it would be great to know when the system isn't working, through power or internet loss.

cstewart58
Follower

I am surprised that there is no way for notifications to be sent ether text or email that a camera, or cameras, are offline. The only way to know is to keep checking the cameras on a frequent basis. Same can be said for low batteries. Notificaitons need to be sent via text or email.

JamesC
Community Manager

I can see the value in this type of notification. Thank you for the suggestion!

JamesC

triskevel
Fledgling
Happened to me once, I thought the camera was tampered or stolen. Can't figure out til I got home. Love to see this feature developed.
TomMac
Guru

In remote locations, I'd recommend a UPS to get thru short term outages... as you can't remotely reset the cameras ( base should come back up automatic, but some time the cameras loose connection )

Of course if someone cuts your power or internet access it no-go as awith almost any alarm system.

jguerdat
Guru

Some UPSes have the ability to send alerts when power is disrupted. That may require either a more expensive UPS or connection to a computer which would then send the notification.  Of course, someone breaking the Internet connection defeats any attempt to send such a notification...

Richard-65
Follower

Thanks for your feed back. Our internet connection is by a radio link so there is only the power to worry about. The UPS is great but if you don't know the power is off it extends the system until the UPS batteries go flat. You still do not know the power has gone off.

jguerdat
Guru

Do a search for "ups with email notification".  Here's one, although a bit small:

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BG500-Back-UPS-Pro-500/dp/B00DW2J7SY

mckeanar
Novice

Please add this feature!

Worried about someone tampering with cameras, they aren't recording when I'm not home and I know they should be because of the other people I live with coming and going.

Just a simple notification of if one or more cameras go offline at any time would be great.