Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Alerting Mechanism for Base Station / Camera Offline

Our installation will be very remote beach house. There is a need for mains failure detection in case intruder has deliberately switched of the power. This would be a nice sofware update feature.

Comments
Skotgb
Fledgling

How is it that this still isn’t developed?!

It is an obvious design flaw that the way to disable this system is cut the power or internet and there is no alert to say that has happened.

eddyj
Guide

Today I canceled my Arlo Smart subscription. The first step in moving away from depending on Arlo, since clearly, they are not dependable.

ARF1
Onlooker

A big security flaw in the Arlo system is that an intruder, seeing an arlo camera on my property, can simple cut my internet cable to effectively disable all alterts and I am completely unaware that my Arlo system and alerts are down. The Arlo system needs to send me an alert when my Arlo Hub looses internet connectivity, this way I will know that my internet is down and that I am not going to recieve any camera activity alerts. Better yet, would be that the Arlo hub can send me alters without dependence on internet access.

jepoys94503
Fledgling

It's very common for one or two (or sometimes even all) of my Arlo cameras to get disconnected or go offline and unnoticed for days. That is because I have to go to the app to find it out. 

Is there a way for the base station to send a text notification if one or more cameras got disconnected?

Jsijnja
Guide

Will be great to see this feature too. I would have thought it would be one of the first features for security to indicate a camera is offline. At the moment the only way to confirm a camera has not gone offline is to manually log into app and monitor live video on each camera. It doesn’t result in peace of mind. Would therefore be great to see this feature. 

JQ1126
Novice

Please add a feature for users to be sent a notification when their base stations are offline.

FREEMAN38
Initiate

Hi,

The device can lose connection for various reasons but there is no notification when connection is lost or restored.

I had a previous device (from another vendor) which had this key feature. For this kind of security/life monitoring device is really key (to know that the device is not recording/monitoring).

Is it planned to add this in a short future?

Regards,

Freeman

DudeMac17
Tutor

ATTENTION EVERYONE SEEKING A SOLUTION FOR THIS ISSUE. 

It's clear after years of requesting this feature that Arlo probably won't implement it into their notifications settings. (lame) However, i have found a workaround. If you link your Arlo devices with Apple's Homekit, home kit WILL notify you if your base station goes offline. It may say something a bit more obscure like "a hub or device has gone offline" - But if its the only hub in your home kit, it will be clear that it is the Arlo that its referring to. Then you'll be able to look further into the problem. 

I really hope this helps you all! I do wish the team was more receptive to real user feedback, but whatever. 

he6419
Fledgling

Same thing (now, just started working for me) with SmartThings - it will say "Arlo Offline."   No specifics on which camera(s), but enough of a hint.

AntonyFamily
Onlooker

Here's another thought, that I haven't tried yet.  It occurred to me that I could put the Arlo hub on a smart switch so I could remotely power cycle when the hub disconnects.