Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Add more and different smart devices

Add more and different smart devices.

Example: Smoke / Water / CO2 / .. sensors for more push alerts.

Intercom inside the camera

Cool, a live intercom over internet to for a: "Hey what are you doing here, you know your face is on my video now? Turn around and go or I will call the police."

or a separet device like a doorbell.
Hey, the actual market haven't anything 2 familie house that need more than one doorbell at the entrance. (except you want to buy something for 2000€)

And we need WLAN Actors (Door opener contracts triggered from the app, NO (NormalOpen) or NC relais or Power On/Off) or extra lamps that can be triggered via app or from the doorbell for example a chime.  

A Plug-In cam if you not want to change batteries. Or an waterresistend add on case (like some cases for cell phones with an extra power accu) accu pack that keep the camera 10 times longer online as the smal batteries.

A secured cam that you can mount outside at the entrance, that can't be stolen so easly. At minimum a kind of kensington lock for my camera.

Enough ?

Best regards

CamFan

Comments
eislon
Tutor

I can understand that Arlo is new you first start with some things to make it a package.

But I like to see some more equipment being added to this smart home automation, and what I like to see is:

- possibiliity to control lights with arlo

- smoke detectors, when an alarm goes of, you can let Arlo also sent a notification as with the camera's. It even may dail a phone number ....andso on.

- motion detectors seperate from the camera's

- and many more ideas to come.

So for this idea, the main thing is to add more hardware equipment that works with arlo, I see many options here. 

toqy
Initiate
IFTTT support would solve this without having to wait for Arlo specific products or dream about things they may never even make
eislon
Tutor

I don't know (yet) what IFTTT is, so have to figure this out, but I suspect to be a protocol Arlo uses and other equipment use that to so that it can be connected to the arlo base station (?).

But will look this up, thanks for the information.

Gkins3
Initiate

I am a current Iris home automation customer and would love to switch to Arlo for a stable outdoor camera, something that Iris does not perform well at.

What does the future hold for Arlo?  Will the ability be there for lighting controls, outlets, etc?  At least the option for z-wave products to be added?  If you are sticking with cameras, great; It is better to be the best at 1 thing.  But I would like to use 1 system for everything.

Thank you in advance.  Looks promising....

George

camCHLO
Star

I second George's motion and eagerly await future accessories on this platform. Hopefully Netgear is developing integrated things like:

- motion detectors

- moisture sensors (flood due to broken pipe, etc.)

- light sensors

- IFTTT integration

- sunvisor for sun-facing cameras

- digital zooming

PhillipU
Follower

Add alarm system options such as door/window, temperature, water, glass break, loud noise, smoke and CO sensors.  A siren would be nice.  If such options are added, a touchscreen to switch modes and adjust settings would be neat.

Bdesomer
Follower

Dear all,

I see a lot of suggestions to improve this (already great) product but no commitments whatsoever on what's going to be implemented and what isn't.

I have a few suggestions too, not knowing if this message is going to be considered or not but here I go:

• The thing I’m missing the most is an outdoor alarm unit. Not only to make noise but also to visually warn people with bad intentions that the house is protected
  • There’s no backup system when e.g. the internet-connections are being sabotaged. This being extremely simple in some countries where the connections are grouped into an outside box…

While we’re at it, great add-ons would also be:

• Wireless smoke-detectors
  • Wireless PIR-detectors
  • Wireless keypads to activate/deactivate when e.g. cell phone isn’t around/usable
  • Flush mounted cam/doorbell combination
  • And a simple one, provide security-stickers that do NOT mention the type of security system…

If none of those suggestions is addressed, Arlo can only be used as an add-on not as a security-system…

JamesC
Community Manager

Bdesomer,

Welcome to the community! Thank you for the great suggestions! I encourage you to visit the Arlo Idea Exchange and post your ideas there or kudo the existing related threads. Thank you again for your contribution!

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager

Great ideas, thank you for sharing!

TexasSwede
Guide

It would make more sense to add support for a standardized system like SmartThings, so all the different sensors can talk to each other.

When your SmartThings door sensor detects a door being opened, it sends a signal to the hub, where a program will start the recording. IFTTT could do the same thing.