Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras|NETGEAR

The Arlo Community

Learn, explore, ask questions, and connect with our community of customers and experts.

Top Contributors

Add anti theft feature to Arlo app

I want anti-theft feature to be added in Arlo app.

Add new feature to prevent stolen camera to sync to different base station or router.

Only when user removes synced camera from Arlo app, such camera can be synced to new base station.

Optionally in settings-devices-camera add slider or checkmark button to allow/disallow to sync camera to different base station or router.

19 Comments
Novice

Hi there,

i am am planing on spending a lot of my savings to buy these cameras and I have heard  a lot of customers reviews regarding theft of these cameras, this is worrying me as I can not afford to replace them if they are stolen.

like the previous reviewer whom I have quoted

Spoiler

said....what are your plans to put some kind of security measures nine place? 

Your cameras are a fantastic idea and I look forward to purchasing the full system hear in Australia but as I said" they are a lot of money for someone to steal " when the whole idea of getting them is to prevent this sort of thing.

many thanks & kind regards.

Mrs Hartley.

netcam wrote:

I want anti-theft feature to be added in Arlo app.

Add new feature to prevent stolen camera to sync to different base station or router.

Only when user removes synced camera from Arlo app, such camera can be synced to new base station.

Optionally in settings-devices-camera add slider or checkmark button to allow/disallow to sync camera to different base station or router.

Apprentice

i believe this is something that was just looked over initially but that could be added through a firmware update.  Maybe password them so you have to enter the password to resync with a different base or just a check mark as mentioned.  At the very least it would keep a thief from using it again

Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: Engineering Investigation

Fledgling

Not only that, I think a stolen camera (it would assume itself stolen if active and then loses connection to base and not turned off) could be programmed to connect to any open wifi hotspots and ET Phone Home.

Initiate

The company should be able to help police get your camera back since this system is not cheap. It is an investment-- so Arlo should help customers protect it--espacially when they have the serial numbers and other tracking data on file that can be used to track or brick the camera.

Then create a sticker that promotes the fact it is "trackable" or  "useless if stolen" --that would really help cameras stay in place. I know some thieves would destroy the cams anyway, but it would cut down on their attempts-- once word gets out that  it is *not* worth it to climb on the roof and steal the cameras!

I hesitate to buy the product, even thought I really need it -- becasue in my hood people are very craft about stealing things--even if placed very high up.

664 Follower
Follower

Software won't stop the theft of your hardware.

I'd rather deter the theft by mechanical means such as a secure mount or protective barrier.

664 Follower
Follower

20170730_153216.jpg20170730_153323.jpg

Guide

Since you have the Cam Serial numbers on the Arlo Cloud, can you/do you identify reported stolen equiptment to help track down thieves?

Star

+1 - I agree..... these cameras are expensive!  Please help us track them down if they are stolen

Novice

The solution to stolen cameras is so simple I am stunned that this is not already the policy.

1. Every camera comes with a unique MAC address.

2. Arlo knows every camera’s Mac adress on its customers systems

3. A camera is stolen; the customer reports the camera as stolen and supplies Arlo with a police report as proof.

4. The thief installs the camera on their system and Arlo immediately knows the IP address of the stolen camera.

5. Arlo notifies the customer to have the local PD submit a request for the street address the camera IP address is tied to.

6. Local PD arrests the thief and recovers the camera.