Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Theft Deterrent

The cameras placed outside can easily be stolen.  The motion sensor lag sometimes does not capture video until it is too late.

I believe that each camera has its unique serial number.  It would be great if Arlo could disable stolen cameras or provide some ability to track or recover stolen cameras.  Even an image captured when an attempt(s) is later made to register the camera to a new base station.

Comments
kevin4
Apprentice

+1 - I agree..... these cameras are expensive!  Please help us track them down if they are stolen

brh
Master
Master

For about $2 each I purchased several plastic electrical outlet boxes. It took several hours but I was able to make a hole in the front the size and shape of the camera front and hollowed out the inside so that the camera would fit inside. To make the camera fit snugly inside I used some Play Dough to make a snug fit and put some Saran Wrap under the camera so that it would not stick to the Play Dough until everything had dried out. I then painted the outlet box to match the color of the eave on my house. To get the camera angle correct I used cheap window shims and glued them together until I achieved the proper angle and painted them the same color. The shims are mounted with four long screws and the outlet box with the camera inside mounts to the shims with four long screws. Yes, the camera can be stolen, but I don't think the mount can easily be knocked down with a stick and it will take some effort to undo the screws to take the camera. Then I purchased the solar panels for the outside cameras so that I hopefully will not have to climb the ladder again for a long time.

Not a pretty solution, but better than the magnetic mount or the screw type mount IMHO.

Brian

Johnnypok
Fledgling

I’ve made my own mounts with aluminium junction boxes and replaced the screws with torx screws just for added security.

it’s not totally theft proof but I just tried to make it as difficult as possibleD8BAA659-C120-4730-BA67-468F0E8BC1B3.jpeg

AFF8351E-24D4-4AC4-8C74-9587BA033991.jpeg2F4B1620-D109-4CBC-95E6-9B0EA80AE405.jpeg3FA7C725-78F1-45B6-B5E4-2D2D529BD931.jpegA6FAB347-4A87-4C26-AA4A-A0B66C3C0C4F.jpeg49E7A452-62FE-4BFC-B573-83FA99D2591A.jpeg

brh
Master
Master

I made my own mounts, (ugly but work well)  The link below should take you to the first page of the Idea Exchange and my post, (as of 01/09/2018), should be the second or third post down. Plastic Security Mounts.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/arlo-idea-exchange

Brian

User77a
Novice

The solution to stolen cameras is so simple I am stunned that this is not already the policy.

1. Every camera comes with a unique MAC address.

2. Arlo knows every camera’s Mac adress on its customers systems

3. A camera is stolen; the customer reports the camera as stolen and supplies Arlo with a police report as proof.

4. The thief installs the camera on their system and Arlo immediately knows the IP address of the stolen camera.

5. Arlo notifies the customer to have the local PD submit a request for the street address the camera IP address is tied to.

6. Local PD arrests the thief and recovers the camera.

Teknix
Fledgling

Please enable the above to happen!

intgom
Initiate

Netgear's competitors are starting to provide fail-safe mechasims to pretect their customers whenever a camera is stolen.  Netgear should do likewise, either by committing to replace cameras that have been stolen (e.g. on production of a police report / incident reference) or allowing customers to render the cameras useless if marked as stolen.  I'm pretty sure each camera can be uniquely identified so the latter option is viable if the former is cost-prohibitive.

KraigK
Follower

Totally agree with this

roq
Aspirant
Aspirant

any matching serial number from stolen camera should have no access to cloud features 

raven66
Tutor

Myself and multiple neighbors have had our Arlo cameras stolen. This is becoming very common and there is no way to lock and/or track the camera to deter theft. This feature definitely needs to be added and does not appear difficult to implement.