Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras|NETGEAR
Top Contributors

Add Siren in the system?

First question my wife asked, where's the alarm ?  Smart gal, huh.  Here's the scenario, we're on vacation, things are pleasant, waves, sunset, a gentle warm breeze.   ding ding ding, a notification to the smart phone, fantastic, now we can see in real time some sob ransacking our house.  quick, call the local cops, maybe even the neighbors - to warn them to stay inside ?  maybe get a licence plate number. 

WHY DOESN'T NET GEAR Put A Blaring Horn In The System ?  Not battery powered of course, one that is plugged into the wall, triggered by Mr. Arlo  ( obviously a battery back up in the horn would be great ).  Fascinating for the level of brilliance this system has, you guys left out the most obvious feature. 

The rest of our vacation is pretty much shot.  If we didn't have Arlo, we'd be blissfully ignorant.  If we had a different alarm system with a loud horn, we'd still have our valuables.

I can't be the very first one to " bring this to your attention " ?    Who's the MBA managing you guys ?

53 Comments
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented In Latest Product

We are excited to announce that this Idea has been implemented with the introduction of the Arlo Pro. For more information on the Arlo Pro, see here: Arlo Pro The world’s first and only 100% wire-free, weatherproof, rechargeable HD smart security cam...

Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: New Ideas

James, the minor problem is that the siren is inside of the house with the base station is it not? I thought the idea of arlo was to prevent a break in not upset the Burglar with a loud noise inaudible outside once they get in? Bit confused by the thinking behind it to be perfectly honest!
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented in latest product

We are excited to announce that this Idea has been implemented with the introduction of the Arlo Pro. For more information on the Arlo Pro, see here: Arlo Pro The world’s first and only 100% wire-free, weatherproof, rechargeable HD smart security cam...

Tutor
Although this siren feature was implimented it still could use some compatibility with a real DIY security system with sensors. For example, a security system like Abode fully integrates with the NEST cams. It goes way beyond having to use expensive cams for every point of entrance and gives the ability to temporarily or permanently utilize call center monitoring. Instead, you purchase cams where traffic is most likely and utilize much less expensive sensors for other areas of entry. I feel Netgear Arlo gets us only 75% of the way there...
Novice

Alro pro base station has an alarm. As much as i love my arlo setup the alarm is weak. It didn't even phase my cats :/

It would be great if the siren was not just on the base but actually coming from the outside of the camera.  I just realized tha I incorrectly informed someone that it was loud enough to hear outside of the house but that is not correct, you can hear it barely on my porch but inside the house it's extremely loud.  Also, it would be great if the camera that detects the motion or signal is the one that goes off or for the user to have the option to have all go off of only the one that triggered the incident.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented in latest product

Follower

This is an absolutely needed feature.  The base station may not be audible from outside, and the point of a siren is to scare off an intruder.  You already have a speaker on the Arlo Pro cameras, why not broadcast an alarm over those speakers when the Siren is triggered?

brh Master
Master

Not trying to be a spoiler here, but was the cost of your stolen items more expensive than a professional 24/7 monitored security system. My professional system cost less than what I have spent on my Arlo cameras. Good professional security systems are relatively inexpensive these days and the DIY installations can usually be done in an hour or two. Yes there is a small monthly fee, but half of that fee is for cellular communications which means that the burglar can cut your power and internet cables but the system will still work. The cost of this system is a mere fraction of the items that were stolen and a fraction of the items that the insurance did not reimburse me for, not caounting the aggravation of the experience.

Arlo and other iot systems should never be your primary security system, but act a a backup for a true security service. My two cents worth.

Brian