Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Access Log/History

It would be great to have a basic or advanced log/history feature, first of all to see who of my friends logged to the system and at what time, also to ensure that nobody is using my account (in case hacked or someone stole my credentials). Also it would be better to send any of the above activities by email or SMS notifications so that in case someone hacked my account and accessed the cameras I will have the chance to immediately take action. A dual authentication might be useful as well where whenever there is a login attempt, I will receive a pin on my mobile which I need to input on the login screen... As nowadays security is a must, in my opinion the above would give a higher ranking for your product and a better customer satisfaction.

Comments
ant
Mentor
Mentor

It would be nice to have logs/histories like times, activities, etc.

eLCapitan
Guide

Hi,

I would like to see a "detailed" Log of Friends access when and which camera my friends accessed. Even with notification for the owner when they access it.

Additonally also to setup a recording of the accessed camera what they saw based on the event they accessed it.

I also would like to have more detail managing of friends access like a schedule when they have access to cameras (e.g. only at night times or day times), or only when a specific mode or rule is active (e.g. Mode/Rule "Vacation" they have access and on mode/Rule "@Home" they don't have).

Could be nice to create like a "Neighbourhood-Watch" but only to times when i want it without always going to the app or online and manually change it back and forth.

leafBuilder
Tutor

Would Arlo/Netgear consider adding a feature to its software that allows users to track when the last logon/logoff was initiated, and a feature that indicates whether or not a particular camera, or any cluster of cameras, had been deactivated or timed-out?

wife brought up a good question today, with the recent issues of security network cams (not netgear in general) being hacked and viewed by unauthorized access, it comes to question about how safe are we when using this product?

Since I have decided to install 3 of them around the house, possibly 2 more in the future, love the whole complete wireless idea, but the question remains.. How safe are we from prying eyes or no good do'ers that just wants to peek ? 

With my old webcam, I'd know if someone was watching as there was a active LED that lights up and flashes if data was being sent out from the cam (motion detection and recording), otherwise the light would be off.

jguerdat
Guru

A wired system would be the most impervious to being hacked but any system connected to the Internet, even indirectly, is a potential target.  The most secure computer is one in a locked room with no connections anyplace else - same is true for these systems.  A wireless camera could always be intercepted and manipulated if someone is so inclined and the ability to monitor the system remotely opens the door, too.  

The answer here is probably "security by obscurity". The likelihood of your system being hacked is pretty low based on the sheer numbers of targets out there as well as who wants to infiltrate your system.  The utility of spending time and money to get control of your system makes you not much of a target although the chances are not zero...

c_t_a
Novice

I have a few questions:

Is it possible to get notification when the system is accessed? I know we get notifications from the cameras automated recording but not from the system itself. And not when someone live streams a camera from the app.

How can I tell if someone logs in to live stream a camera?

Is there a logging feature or ability to view the logs of the system?

Can the system log and present the IP from which it was last accessed?

If logging is enabled, is there a way to export the log to a centralized system? Thinking Splunk for home use.

Is there anyway to speed up the activation of the cameras? I find I catch alot of motion only to see the departing foot of some package delivery person.

JamesC
Community Manager

c_t_a,

You make a lot of great suggestions. Currently, there is no accessible log of when the system is accessed or when live streaming occurs.

Take a look at this article that provides tips on best motion detection performance: Optimizing motion detection performance on Arlo Wire-Free cameras

Thank you for your contribution!

JamesC

Odisseus84
Initiate

I have just installed my 3-cams kit and I am satisified (aware of sound, lag limitations and need of a buffer storage under iternet disruption noted elsewhere).

What I find not very convincing is security.

I am quite concerned with my privacy and the best solution I found is to use a robust password (impossible to remember...). As a consequence, for ease of use I need to save it on the devices I use (iOS apps, browser saved passwords).

Unfortunately, this also means that anybody momentarily taking possess of the unlocked device or PC can browse to reach my surveillance cams Smiley Frustrated

I would suggest at least two enhancements:

1) On iOS app, implement TouchID to unlock app everytime you open it

2) In general, a usual access log with time, machine name and IP address Client, potentially with an email alert of new devices connections

Does it make sense? Did I miss something already in place to address these issues?

Thank you!

jguerdat
Guru

While some sort of interaction with a 3rd party app could be useful, applications like Keepass2 (for computer and mobile) have been used for many applications and sites, even those which have no such integration.  Since they are locked into the vault by (hopefully) a strong, unique password and can be installed and shared between devices, it's a simple way to keep your usernames and passwords synchronized and locked up until ready for use.

Odisseus84
Initiate
Oops just realized my typo in title.

I use 1password but, without interaction, this is not convenient for daily use.