Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.
0 Likes

Ability to arm/disarm camera/doorbell connected to WiFi using Alexa

With the Arlo skill loaded, need ability to arm the indoor camera with the Alexa guard command "I'm leaving" and disarm the camera with the Alexa command "I'm home".

Comments
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi pmdcr2001,

You can let Alexa know with using the command by setting up Assistant PIN through the Arlo app. You can read more about it here: What is the Assistant PIN feature and how do I use it?

pm9dcr2001
Follower

Thanks Jessica,  It looked like a solution and if I had the camera that required a hub, it would be a solution.  The indoor camera is the essentials, a newer one that connects directly to WIFI, without a hub.  The instructions for using an ARLO PIN specify devices that use a smart hub or base station.  Both my Arlo essentials and Arlo wired door bell, both connect directly to WIFI. 

When I config PIN in PROFILE and then tell Alexa to arm, Alexa response with <device name> doesn't support the arm command.  Thank you for trying to help!

What you need

To use Assistant PIN to arm or disarm your system, you need the following:

• A connected Arlo SmartHub or base station with one or more Arlo devices connected to it
    • Compatible SmartHub and base station models: VMB3000, VMB3500, VMB4000, VMB4500, VMB4540, and VMB5000
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Thanks for clarifying. Yes, you will need to connect your camera to an Arlo SmartHub/Base Station as we do not have this available for cameras/doorbells connected to WiFi. 

I have moved this post to the Idea Exchange Board. We greatly appreciate your contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation.