Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

2nd factor Authenication added to the login process

Hello,

I tried to search for this idea, but didn't see anything.

I would like to see 2nd factor authenication options added to the login process.

Thanks

Comments
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

botwheeler
Onlooker
I agree the login really should include the option to add a second factor.
PapaDragon
Fledgling

Just bought a new Arlo Pro 2 ... and I'm kind of horrified to learn there is no 2 factor authentication !

I'm not sure this system made my home more secure, quite the contrary 😞

bsramin
Fledgling

@ShayneS Is that a joke?
I already find it absurd that such a thing is in "ideas" and is not treated by Netgear as a basic feature given the nature of the product.
Moreover, after 2 years from the request, you treat it in the same way (or even worse) than any other idea like "Change iOS app notification sound"... not rushing to implement it. People ignore the need for this safety, you as a company have to consider it as a "must have", like a car with an airbag (or do you think that in Toyota before mounting it on the next car they waiting for feedback on their forum?). Probably on the day that someone will penetrate your system, taking all the passwords and will burst a scandal of incredible levels you can answer "ah but we preferred to make first the change of sound in ios notifications".
Congratulations.

teleworm
Novice

I have an issue with my iTunes account when I going to log in this thing I have an issue of my iTunes account that is error 4013 and I don't know how to remove this error and getting log in into my iTunes account.

JSeattle
Fledgling

I just received my first Arlo camera and I'm surprised to see there is no 2-factor authentication to access Arlo account.

2FA is a must have to secure the access to cameras that are inside our homes!

I see the other thread on this topic was locked; can we have some official answer regarding this ask? Without proper security, I'm on the fence to return this product to the store.

jguerdat
Guru

A few issues here. One, 2FA has never been advertised so not sure why you're surprised. Two, there are complaints about the occasional ads that pop up. slowing down the login. What about 2FA would make that better? Third, virtually none of us are important enough to bother with hacking in. Fourth, a strong password mitigates most of any hacking fears.

jb945673
Novice

The reasons given by @jguerdat are ignorant at best.  

A recent article in the Washington Post highlights some of the vulnerabilities of in-home cameras. https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2018/12/20/nest-cam-baby-monitor-hacked-kidnap-threat-came...

Two-factor authentication is an essential additional way to secure our accounts and our privacy.  If @jguerdat isn't concerned for the reasons given in the post, he/she should have the option to opt-out.

Arlo please add this critical security feature as soon as possible.

JSeattle
Fledgling

@jguerdat: I don't think anyone has to be important to be hacked. As you can see in the previously mentionned article, there are lot of random hacks on cameras. 

Re strong and unique password: it helps to protect the account, but there are 2 possible issues:

1. If there is a data breach and the password leaks (which happened with many sites), it's possible for a hacker to access the account without you even knowing it. I'm sure Netgear use strong security measures such as hash + salt of the password, but this is still possible.
  2. If the email used for your account is compromised (e.g. because you don't have 2FA), hacker can reset the password and access the cameras. 

Of course no system is completely secured, but addinf 2FA will greatly improve the security of Arlo accounts. When we add cameras inside our own houses, we expect that state-of-the-art security is ensured.

jguerdat
Guru

I happen to use 2FA on various accounts but really don't see this as a critical use. Should it be an option for the paranoid? Maybe. I'd rather see a lot of other issues addressed first.