Security system arming and disarming from inside the house

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Bartley
Luminary
Luminary

When I arm my system from inside the house the first motion sensor I walk by sets the alarm off every time. I have the delay for exit set to 3 minutes and the delay for entry to 2 minutes. If I use my phone from outside the house, I can arm or disarm it and the alarm does not go off. I have set up the modes for Arm away, Arm Home and standby.  Currently the three sensors are set to detect Motion, Ambient temperature and Smoke/CO detection. If I am missing a setting, then I'll need some guidance. Other than this issue it seems to work pretty well. I have 10 cameras and an audio doorbell and all have been detected by the new app and account migration. Took a little learning my way around the new interface. The home security base and three sensors are new to my camera's I have been using. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bartley
Luminary
Luminary

Finally got an answer. If someone knows where to find a manual for the alarm system besides the quick guide, please post a link. I don't see anywhere on this site that you can find this information. I went through hoops to actually get to a person at Arlo that could help. My problem was a setting issue. I had siren set to activate in the mode rules Arm away screen. There is a toggle switch for it. changing that to on will activate the siren when there is motion. It also will ignore the entry and exit delay timers. if you go farther down on the same screen under panic you will see toggles for lights, Sirens and Emergency. Mine were greyed out in the on position. Couldn't toggle them. You have to go into the settings under user profile (Top left of screen) under locations and plans, select home, scroll down to panic and select Auto Panic Response there you will find switches for Lights, Activate Siren and Emergency Response. Toggle what you want on and when you go back to the mode rules Arm away and the previous greyed out toggles under panic will be clickable and you can select siren there. The siren will then be included in the entry and exit delay timers and will not activate while the timers are active. This applies to the hub siren. Cameras that are not connected to the hub will not recognize the delay timers. So, if you have an indoors camera and have the siren set to go off with motion in the Arm away mode, the siren will activate regardless of the timer delay settings. Hope this helps someone if they run into this issue. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bartley,

Are you setting up the exit delay for arming your system as described here:  https://kb.arlo.com/000062780/How-do-I-configure-an-entry-or-exit-delay-for-my-Arlo-Home-Security-Sy...

You could also have a Time mismatch between your mobile device and the Arlo Home Security System, take a look here for more information: https://kb.arlo.com/000063001/The-entry-or-exit-delay-time-for-my-Arlo-Home-Security-System-does-not...

JamesC

Bartley
Luminary
Luminary

@JamesC 

I had already set the delay as mentioned in the article link you provided. See attached screen shot ↓.

My android phone's time is set to automatic date and time. Automatic time zone as well. 

I believe the system is disregarding the motion sensors. I can stand or move in front of the keypad after arming. Once the sensor in the kitchen picks up my motion as I walk to the back door to exit the house the alarm goes off. I assume that it is disregarding my exit delay. As stated in the previous post if I am outside the house and use the app to arm the system then all is good. No motion in the house to set it off.

Delay Screenshot_20221226-144555_Arlo Secure.jpg 

Thanks

Gary

Bartley
Luminary
Luminary

Since it looks like the sensors are set up properly. My thoughts turn to radio interference. Is there any documentation on interference between a Camera hub (VMB4000) and the SH1001. Networking (Router, extenders etc...) The SH1001 is connected directly to the 2.4GHZ Wi-Fi of the router. The VMB4000, SH1001 and the Netgear R8000 Router are in the same room. I just have a non-Wi-Fi cable modem as a bridge to my router for internet. If I understand correctly the VMB4000 has its own Wi-Fi hidden network for the cameras and the SH1001 provides its own hidden Wi-FI for the sensors. Note: I had no trouble setting up any of the sensors. The range finder test shows the sensor is within range, I did notice that when the system activates as I am leaving the house, when I hit the standby button and enter the pin number to deactivate the system the light on the hub switches to green standby, but the sirens do not stop. I have to deactivate them under the emergency tab in the app.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bartley wrote:

the SH1001 provides its own hidden Wi-FI for the sensors. 

Actually the sensors connect with SecureLink, which is not WiFi.  Arlo doesn't give details on what it is, but they do say that the radio is "sub-GHz".   Which can not be a WiFi band, as the lowest is 2.4 ghz. 

Lower frequencies propagate further than higher ones, so SecureLink should deliver on longer range and lower power than WiFi.

Bartley
Luminary
Luminary

StephenB

Thank you for the info. That should rule out Wi-Fi interference with the sensors then. I have a support ticket created with Arlo. They recommend uninstalling the app and factory reset of the Keypad (hub). Seems to be standard replies. I have doubts. Hopefully it fixes it. I'll do it tomorrow and see what happens. Either way it works out I will provide feedback on the results.

Thanks

Gary

Bartley
Luminary
Luminary

Tried Tech supports troubleshooting suggestions. I uninstalled the app, Factory reset the keypad. Added the sensors back with just motion at first and I still have the same issue. I guess I'm on my own. (No offense to Arlo's Tech support they can only support with the info they are given. I had to explain to them where the settings for the entry and exit delay settings were when I first called). 10 cameras later I guess I should have expected issues with the functionality of the Home Security System. It's a shame that Arlo doesn't have a higher level of tech support to look into and help with issues that can't be resolved by a factory reset. This may be something linked to my Home Security System or a setting. I followed the recommended settings as far as I can see. I have a level of experience with technology. Doesn't mean I haven't missed something. This is what I have set up in my home and it is pretty much maintenance free. I have 6 Pro2 cameras 3 Spotlight essentials cameras a wired video doorbell, an Audio doorbell, VMB4000r3 base, all cameras are outside of the home except for one, 2 essentials cameras and the video doorbell are connected directly to Wi-Fi the rest are connected to the VMB4000r3 base, Home Security system with 3 sensors including the keypad. All set to motion, ambient temp and Fire/CO monitoring. (Rangefinder test sees them all). They all show up in the app, shows motion in the app when I walk past them, displays the temperature of their location. I also have a google smart home using Netgears Router/extender mesh network (Backend haul wired ethernet 1gb) to handle the devices. I have smart google displays x3, 4 smart speakers, 33 Phillips smart wifi bulbs (Non Hue) 6 Smart plugs, smart door lock (Wi-Fi) 5 smart TV's Two Ethernet wired and three Wi-fi connected. Amazon echo dot, a Firestick 4k to display my photos on a monitor in my dining room. The issue with the Home Security seems to be related to the system itself as it is using a secure link to communicate as was explained to me. Everything in the security system is detected and working. The Security System for some reason is ignoring the exit and entry delay settings. When I hit the top left button to "Arm away" the keypad starts it beeping. If I open the app I can see the timer start counting down and it will arm like it is supposed to. The only thing is if there is any movement in the house while it is counting down the delay time the alarm will trigger. Same with entry. The sirens I have set go off. I assume it would alert the company monitoring Arlos's security system if I didn't cancel by pushing the standby button and enter my pin to disarm the system. Hopefully someone might read this post and shed some light.

Thanks

Gary

Bartley
Luminary
Luminary

Another update: Arlo support walked me through generating a log file from within the arlo app to upload to them. 5mb file. Thought cool we might get somewhere now. Bounced back to me. Delivery status Notification (Failure) Message size to big. Try reducing the message size and resend. Now they have created a new case for me so they can troubleshoot the delivery failure. This is on Arlo's end as I could send the e-mail with the attachment to my work e-mail. I used outlook and I also tried Gmail to send the file to Arlo. The only place it won't send to is Arlo. Go figure.

Gary

Bartley
Luminary
Luminary

Finally got an answer. If someone knows where to find a manual for the alarm system besides the quick guide, please post a link. I don't see anywhere on this site that you can find this information. I went through hoops to actually get to a person at Arlo that could help. My problem was a setting issue. I had siren set to activate in the mode rules Arm away screen. There is a toggle switch for it. changing that to on will activate the siren when there is motion. It also will ignore the entry and exit delay timers. if you go farther down on the same screen under panic you will see toggles for lights, Sirens and Emergency. Mine were greyed out in the on position. Couldn't toggle them. You have to go into the settings under user profile (Top left of screen) under locations and plans, select home, scroll down to panic and select Auto Panic Response there you will find switches for Lights, Activate Siren and Emergency Response. Toggle what you want on and when you go back to the mode rules Arm away and the previous greyed out toggles under panic will be clickable and you can select siren there. The siren will then be included in the entry and exit delay timers and will not activate while the timers are active. This applies to the hub siren. Cameras that are not connected to the hub will not recognize the delay timers. So, if you have an indoors camera and have the siren set to go off with motion in the Arm away mode, the siren will activate regardless of the timer delay settings. Hope this helps someone if they run into this issue.