Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Will Arlo Go work while connected permanently to it's charger and running on it?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
oysterKris
Aspirant
Aspirant

Will Arlo Go work/ doing it's job while connected permanently to it's charger and running on it,instead of it's battery ? If this works, should I remove the battery or just leave it in place ?
Thanks in advance for your help. Kris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, the camera will work fine when plugged in, with battery inserted or not. I would leave it in to be able to continue to work in the event of a power outage.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, the camera will work fine when plugged in, with battery inserted or not. I would leave it in to be able to continue to work in the event of a power outage.

oysterKris
Aspirant
Aspirant
Happy New Year from Barkley Sound, west coast of Vancouver Island BC. Thanks for your advice, it helped me planning my Arlo Go installation on my oyster farm. It's a very remote place, water access only. I'm going to use 100 watt solar panel to charge 12 volt automotive storage battery and then 12 volt DC to 110 volt AC power inverter to run continuously my Arlo's battery charger that will power my Arlo Go. It's a little bit over kill, but I'm hoping to never run out of power. Please let me know what you think.
Thanks Kris
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@oysterKris wrote:
 It's a little bit over kill, but I'm hoping to never run out of power. Please let me know what you think.

It should work well (though I agree it's a bit over kill).  

Some folks recommend using a deep cycle or a marine battery instead of an automotive battery.  Though I don't think you'll be deep-cycling your battery with this setup, it still might be worth considering.

oysterKris
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you again for quick reply. I thought about using deep-cycle battery, but I think this set up will be very" busy ",charging and discharging. I will follow your advice though, getting a good marine battery for sure. The only one good reason for the 100 watt solar panel is, we don't get too much sunlight from late summer to early spring in our corner of the world.
Thanks for your support, I will be back with more burning questions, once I purchase the Arlo Go and all the stuff. Hope you guys help me setting it up and get it running. This camera will be our eye on the sky, watching our Farm, when no one should be there.
Cheers Kris
Mrthomps
Initiate
Initiate

I tried that when we first got ours, and it drained the battery faster while plugged in to power. After we removed the power cord and went strictly with battery power it was fine.

Not sure why this happened but we don’t use the power cord anymore, but we do want to try the solar panel to help recharge when we can’t get to our place to charge the battery.

oysterKris
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks Mrthomps,did you had it hooked up the way I'm planning to do it, but minus the solar panel ???
Please let me know, because it will be great to solve the powering aspects for very remote areas.
Cheers Kris
Mrthomps
Initiate
Initiate
We had the battery in and the power cable plugged into a power source hoping it would act as a back up or keep the battery charged. It discharged faster and Arlo support couldn’t determine why it was discharging the battery.
We do not have a solar panel but are considering one.
We did not try it with just the power cable and no battery.
I’m not sure if power cable minus battery would work but will give it a try when we’re back for a weekend to see what the outcome is.
Best of luck
oysterKris
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks, let me know how did it go.
Cheers
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation