Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Variable record times, while set at a fixed time

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Xctguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Why is it that I have my camera set at a fix recording time of 1 minute ( 60 seconds), and the system sometimes, (about half the time), records less time, sometimes 10 seconds or less, or more; not reaching the 1 minutes set time.  I have it set at the one minute fixed level.  Its been doing this since day one I got the system.

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A poor connection between the base and camera and/or low upload speeds can be the issue. What's your upload speed as measured by speedtest.net? Any other major network access at the same time? What happens if you swap cameras around or bring the camera closer to the base?

Xctguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the info, I think I have a poor connection because of distance, and the signal has to go thru a brick and block building.  I only have one of the little three yellow signal strenght indicators on.  I'm happy that I do get a signal to begin with since the homebase is at the rear of the building and camera at the front, about 75 feet.   Is there any way to boost the signal without moving the base or camera?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

How many cameras do you have and what is the relative signal strength if more than one? If only one, a WiFi or powerline extender would be useful to be able to move the base to a more optimal location. Otherwise, an extender and a second base would be needed to get that camerra a better signal.

Xctguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

HI--thanks for the info.  I have 2 cameras and both are equal in signal strenght. Only on little mark. I cannot move the cameras or homebase, but I am looking at your idea about a wifi-extender.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The low signal strength is likely your problem. Note that the WiFi extender only applies to allowing you to move the base - it does NOT extend the Alro signal itself.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation