Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Possible to use Long Range Antenna for Arlo Go?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
DudeMac17
Tutor
Tutor

Hey all. I've about had enough, and this is a last ditch effort. But as we all know, the antenna strength sucks on the Arlo Go. And when it goes offline, may God help you in it coming back online within the next 72 hours, and then when it does.... 1% battery. This is all due to the antenna / firmware design. 

ANYWAYS> I'm thinking about just tearing into the thing and seeing if i can find where the antenna is and hardwire a long range antenna to it, like this one: Long Range Antenna  

Is this insane? Possible? I'm pretty handy and savvy with soldering and the sort. But this cam is useless unless I attempt this. Not worried about warranty, as if thats even a thing. 

Thoughts anyone? Circuit board schematic anyone? Thanks! 

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DudeMac17 wrote:

ANYWAYS> I'm thinking about just tearing into the thing and seeing if i can find where the antenna is and hardwire a long range antenna to it, like this one: Long Range Antenna  

Is this insane? Possible?

It might be fun to try if you are prepared to sacrifice the camera.

But I don't think it is likely to make any difference.  Although I'm not an antenna expert, I've been told that the main benefits of outdoor LTE and 5G antennas are

• The signal strength is much stronger outdoors than indoors.
  • Outdoor power limits (transmit) are higher, because no one is close to the antenna for long.  Note this only makes a difference if the transmitter itself is high power (which is not the case here).

Neither of those apply to the Go (at least not when it is deployed outdoors).  However, if the performance is due to a poor antenna design, then replacing it with something else maybe could help.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Reminds me of all the car nuts that try to "enhance" their car's performance without even testing the difference. It's a system and needs to be treated as such. Making a change without considering the whole system is likely a crap shoot. There's no proof that any professionally designed antenna can be improved upon without other changes.

Show us the data. As they say, "Pics or it didn't happen."

DudeMac17
Tutor
Tutor
This is a very fair point! My ignorance just led me down the path of, “longer antenna, better range”.
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation