Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Possible to temporarily switch off Arlo Go that is powered by Solar Panel remotely?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
santigiunta
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an ARLO GO camera, It is located at a distance from where I live, I use it to guard my boat and is powered by the solar panel ARLO. And even when I can go boating it is not easy for me to access the device as it is mounted on the mast of a boat (it is a sailboat). It happens that after days of absence of sun the solar panel fails to charge the device sufficiently. I ask if it is possible to switch off temporarily remotely so as not to consume the battery in case of no sun, and later, always remotely turn the device back on. If possible, how to do it? Best regard Giunta Santi

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I would guess that the issue is poor cell service reception although it could also be the total number of minutes of recording and live viewing per day is occurring (<5 minutes per day is the specification). The camera should be able to use the battery for a couple of months if all is good (good cell service, minimal recordings/live viewing). Tell us more about your usage and cell service.

santigiunta
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello and thank you for your attention. My boat is about 20 km away from my residence. I have a GO ARLO with a ARLO solar panel. I have a Vodafone network SIM, with which I have a contract. It’s programmed for a perception of movement and even sound with a sensitivity of 70%. The LEDs for night vision are disabled, in fact the recordings, prompted by someone passing, are very dark at night. I connect live rarely but not more than 5 minutes a day. The network seems efficient. It works well, as long as the sun is present even if in a reduced way but at least every day. When it happens that there are 3 or 4 days of lack of sun the solar panel cannot compensate for the discharge of the battery. 

hat’s why I thought of optimizing the charging remotely by turning off (for example at night if there was a bad day) and switching on the room remotely when the day is expected to be sunny. This is what I can add. Sorry for the language, use google translator. Thanks again for the answers. Santi Giunta

Il tuo commento:

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's no way of totally turning the camera off. It must stay on in order to be able to respond to any commands. The use of the On/Off switch in the camera settings or the Disarmed mode simply prevents recordings. How many minutes of recording do you get per day on average?

While not supported by Arlo the use of a battery with a USB 5v output could be useful. There have been various threads here from people who have successfully done this.

santigiunta
Aspirant
Aspirant

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR SUGGESTION, I’LL TRY TO FOLLOW IT.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation