Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
lbaldwin
Follower
Follower

Hi, I have two Arlo Go cameras on my property that both run off of the Arlo Solar Panels.  Twice now, in the last two months (after buying both brand new solar panels and then a third new one) I am getting a message that says "Incompatible Charger has been detected.  Connect a compatible Arlo Charger."  I've seen reviews that others have had this same issue.  They are working fine and suddenly start saying this and stop charging the cameras.  I've check the connections.  No reason not to be working just as they had been.  Any suggestions??? Obviously the issue is in the cable between the panel and the camera and Arlo does not sell just the cable.  Any advice would be great.  VERY ANNOYING!!!

17 REPLIES 17
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The issue is likely moisturein a connection. I've had that myself. Remove the cable from both ends and let things dry out thoroughly. Then reconnect the cable, taking great pains to properly and fully seat both ends. It's a pain to do but necessary.

Jim719
Aspirant
Aspirant

The error has came up twice. 

Only on one camera.  Same setup on other camera no error. 

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @Jim719,

Have you tried what jguerdat mentioned to try removing the cable and reconnecting it?

Jim719
Aspirant
Aspirant
I haven’t done anything yet.
I tried talking to customer support. Same useless Indian tech. If I had known it was foreign made I’d bought a different camera.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Try what jguerdat has mentioned and see if that helps. Let me know if you are still having problems.

Ruskin
Star
Star

Honestly. This arlo camera and accessories is the biggest piece of tech junk I’ve bought. Issue after issues the latest is the solar charger. Was working great. Bought in November and maintained my charge at 95% since then. Temperature went below zero last week so it stopped charging. Now the weather is nice and I get a “charging fault” message. Nothing changed other than weather went from rainy and wet to cold and snowy then back to sunny and cool. Message Tells me to unplug and plug back in. Have tried this. Didn’t help. Waste of money. This is a known issue. Seems just about everyone with solar charger reports this. 

Steve2233
Tutor
Tutor
I just purchased 2 of these panels, installed yesterday and all was working well. Today one shows this message “incompatible charger” really dissapointing, this camera is high and not easily accessable. Have not tried to fix yet by plugging cables as suggested but, the fact so many people have this issue suggests it’s a systemic problem. And I spent the $$ to get the genuine Arlo panels rather than the Chinese clone ripoffs. So Arlo what’s the solution ? And don’t say keep unplugging and replugging the cable. I will just tear it down and send it back.
Ruskin
Star
Star
Yep. It’s a matter of when it’ll fail not if. I can’t believe the issues with these cameras. I had same issue. Turns out it was battery. Seven months old only. Seems to have fried it when temps went a few degrees below freezing Bought new battery and it worked.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've had solar panels out in all kinds of weather with no problems. The usual issue of the incompatible charger is due to moisture in one or both connections. It can be a real PITA to get both connectors properly seated so the seals work properly so take your time. Since it's now a problem, I would disconnect the cable from both ends and bring the panel indoors to thoroughly dry out. Take care to dry out the camera connection, too. When plugging things back in, take your time to truly ensure a proper seat/seal.

Dead batteries are a whole 'nuther issue not pertinent to this discussion.

Tcourtney54
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ok thanks give that a try
josgioacc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just got my first dose of incompatible charger even though it is the Arlo Solar Panel two days. Today? It's another camera. I have six total cameras and six solar panels. Basically what everyone here is saying is that despite the fact that these cameras and panels are made for the outdoors, the cable connecting the two is so poorly designed that it's inevitable that it'll dislodge enough to create moisture? The solution is to always get up on the ladder and disconnect it, let it dry, and then reconnect it? Wasn't the whole point of the solar panel to prevent the user from having the regularly climb the ladder? 

Lastly, someone mentioned earlier to disconnect both ends of the cable. What both ends? The cable into the solar panel is fixed. The cable to the camera is the one that can be removed. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@josgioacc wrote:

Just got my first dose of incompatible charger even though it is the Arlo Solar Panel two days. Today? It's another camera. I have six total cameras and six solar panels. Basically what everyone here is saying is that despite the fact that these cameras and panels are made for the outdoors, the cable connecting the two is so poorly designed that it's inevitable that it'll dislodge enough to create moisture? The solution is to always get up on the ladder and disconnect it, let it dry, and then reconnect it? Wasn't the whole point of the solar panel to prevent the user from having the regularly climb the ladder? 

Lastly, someone mentioned earlier to disconnect both ends of the cable. What both ends? The cable into the solar panel is fixed. The cable to the camera is the one that can be removed. 

What camera model are you using?  There are two different panels - one for the Ultra and Pro-3, another for the Pro, Pro-2, and Go.  The connectors are aren't the same.

josgioacc
Aspirant
Aspirant
That’s my fault. I googled search this forum and this thread came up.

I have the Arlo Pro set. Been an Arlo user since the first gen cameras. Then, with rechargeable batteries, i upgraded to the Pro. Stuck with them since but got annoyed over the regular charging, especially in the cold weather. Thought the solar panels would be a godsend. Not shaping up that way.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@josgioacc wrote:
I have the Arlo Pro set. 

Thx.  I use the Ultra/Pro3 panel myself, and haven't seen the incompatible charger error.

FWIW, I wouldn't assume that your problem is due to moisture penetrating into the camera.  I've seen some other posts here from others who are seeing this problem, and there's no evidence I've seen that suggests it's moisture (at least not in all cases).  It could be a firmware bug.  I suggest trying support next.  https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

As far as the moisture possibility goes, one option is to put some silicone grease around the connector (outside of the camera shell).  Another fairly simple thing to do is make sure the low point of the cable is below the camera - which will tend to direct any water flowing down the cable away from the camera connection.

Simonroberte
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, I have had the same thing happen just today. Suddenly getting error message/dotted red battery symbol which apparently means “incompatible charger”. Problem for me is that the cameras are installed at a property overseas. The weather is quite cold today (3 degrees Celcius) so I’m currently hoping camera will charge when it warms up!
josgioacc
Aspirant
Aspirant

So the issue with the incompatible charger resolved itself within a day or so. I guess it's no longer incompatible? The issue I'm experiencing now with some of my cameras, the ones that don't sit in direct sunlight all day, is the battery is too cold to charge. Now, I get it, NY experienced some frigid temperatures this week, but once it "warms" up to the 40s, I'm hoping this is no longer an issue. Thankfully, I don't live in Alaska. 

Simonroberte
Aspirant
Aspirant
No, I am waiting to see if they charge once the temperature/levels of sunlight improve. Currently not charging but the error message has gone
Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation