Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Go Battery and Solar

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
tjmannis
Follower
Follower

Got an Arlo GO about a month ago with the solar setup - worked GREAT for about 3 weeks and started to get the charging source connected....nonsense.  Did a full replacement on the panel, worked for about 5 days, stopped all together, started working again and then back to the charging source error. 

I have seen a TON of information on this from firmware, bad panel, poor design…may try another replacement, but not sure it is worth it.  Now I seem to be losing battery life at 10-15% per day.   I have the video set for Optimize for Battery Life, have 4 bars of LTE, No Alerting on, check it about once a day for about 30 seconds.   Any thoughts – could the solar panel be draining the battery? 

My issue is this camera is 2.5 hours from my home and I cannot afford to drive up every 8 days to change the battery, solar would be great if it worked.  I welcome any suggestions. 

3 REPLIES 3
5g
Tutor
Tutor

Sounds like a very common experience when the ARLO GO is connected to a Netgear solar panel.  I looked at both the a.c. adapter and solar panel output voltage and both were 5v when not connected to the ARLO.  

I suspect that the solar panel has a lithium ion charge controller device that under certain conditions produces an output that the ARLO detects as being connected to the wrong charger.

My guess is that if the ARLO had a user selectable mode switch for solar charging, there might not be a problem.  

Joel

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My experience has been that the cable not being properly seated on both ends has allowed moisture into the connection. This could be due to a bad seal on the cable or just not being fully seated. Try removing the cable and letting all connectors fully dry out. Take the time and effort to make sure both ends of the cable is completely seated - it can be a real PITA to do so.

product_owner
Initiate
Initiate

Any response from Arlo on this thread, Joel?  It sounds like you're on to something.  I recently purchased an Arlo Go and have it connected to a solar panel.  I have been increndibly disappointed in its lack of charging ability.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation