Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMC2030 Motion detection greyed out

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Schtevie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello.  My essential spotlight stopped recording.  I assume it's because the motion detection is greyed out in the attached screenshot.  I tried removing and adding the device, but I still can't enable this.  The motion detection test runs successfully.  The unit detects motion, but it does not record it.

Arlo.png

7 REPLIES 7
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Schtevie,

Do you have an active subscription plan? Once the trial expires, you will need an active subscription to continue receiving recordings. For more information, see here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062312/What-options-will-I-have-when-the-Arlo-trial-ends

JamesC

Schtevie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  I do not have an active subscription.  My recording is done locally on the hub via usb storage.  Sorry, but I forgot to mention that I have six other cameras connected to the same hub and they are all recording locally successfully.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Schtevie,

If you remove the local storage device on your base station and view from a PC, are the recordings present?

JamesC

Schtevie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, all the recordings are present on the USB drive.  After hours with arlo technical support, it turns out this is functioning as designed.  My arlo pro 2 cameras have seven days of cloud video availability from within the app.  My arlo essential cameras do not have any cloud video availability.  Even though I don't have a subscription and store all my videos locally on the base hub via USB, the essential cameras still rely on the cloud functionality to view videos in the app.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Schtevie wrote:

Even though I don't have a subscription and store all my videos locally on the base hub via USB, the essential cameras still rely on the cloud functionality to view videos in the app.  

VMB4540 and VMB5000 do have a "direct access to local storage" feature.  Other hubs don't.

But the "direct access" feature has a lot of limitations, and IMO isn't a great experience.  So personally  I'd go with the subscription over upgrading to a smarthub.

Schtevie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, the subscription appears to be the only choice for what I want to do, but the subscription is exactly what I wanted to avoid.  Now that I bought all this arlo product, I'm kind of stuck with it.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Schtevie wrote:

Yes, the subscription appears to be the only choice for what I want to do,

Again, upgrading the base to a VMB4540 or VMB5000 is an alternative.

Limitations include

• videos only available in the app (not the browser)
  • videos only available in the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • no ability to make manual recordings or take snapshots
  • no thumbnails - videos need to be downloaded to the phone to view
  • remote access requires router setting changes that some find difficult (and which aren't available with some internet service providers)

Of course you lose other subscription features (activity zones, smart notifications).