Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMB4000 How to setup Arlo Camaras already installed

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
FriendlyMemo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the VMB4000 (Arlo Pro Base Station), and 6 camaras already installed.  What do I need to do next?  Do I plug the Base Station into the modem, connect the electrical power cable, and download the Arlo Secure Home Security app?  Is there a yearly membership to use the app to be able to see my home through the camaras?  Will I be able to see all 6 camaras in different windows in the app (3 camaras in the front and 3 in the back yard)?  I do not know what model camaras I have, because they were already installed when I bought the home.  Thank you in advance for all your help.

10 REPLIES 10
Dannybear
Master
Master
Check if you can, if the previous owner has removed them from their account else they cannot be transferred. Do not connect the base until you confirm the above else they will still have access to them.

On the base station power it and connect to the router, use a paper clip to press the factory reset button and hold until the base LEDs begin flashing. 10sec usually.

Take down the cameras as it is likely that the camera batteries have died. Remove them and look for the label in the camera battery compartment and note the model number that begins with VMC. Charge the batteries if arlo chargers were left behind. If the cameras are externally powered then the batteries may be good to go.

Once you have the camera model you can download the technical manual from the forum to start the setup.

You will be limited to 5 cameras without a subscription, unless you have the model code for the six pack bundle.

If the cameras are pro2 or earlier then you should get the 7days free cloud storage without subscription requirements.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dannybear wrote:

Take down the cameras as it is likely that the camera batteries have died. Remove them and look for the label in the camera battery compartment and note the model number that begins with VMC. 

@FriendlyMemo - You'll have to take them down anyway, in order to onboard them in the app (which requires pressing the sync button on the cameras).  While doing that, you should determine the model as @Dannybear suggests.  You can post the VMC model number here, and we can help you determine the more friendly name for the camera.

FriendlyMemo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Dear DannyBear:

How do I know if the previous owner still has an account?

I saw like an edge on the bottom of the camara.  Is that where the battery compartment is located?

These camaras are solar powered.  Does the camara still have batteries?

Thank you for all you help in advance.

FriendlyMemo

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@FriendlyMemo wrote:

These camaras are solar powered.  Does the camara still have batteries?

Yes.

@FriendlyMemo wrote:

I saw like an edge on the bottom of the camara.  Is that where the battery compartment is located?

The details for this depend on the camera model.  For most, there is a release button on the bottom, and after you press that you can pull the camera body out of the shell. Then you'll see the battery.

FriendlyMemo
Aspirant
Aspirant

The camara model is VMC4030P

Netgear Arlo Pro2

Battery Model is A-1

FriendlyMemo
Aspirant
Aspirant

All 3 lights are green on the base unit.

The app is looking for Arlo device and cannot find it.  I will not be able to proceed from this point if it cannot find the base unit.

I do not have the camara charging adapter.  There are no lights on the camaras.  I is most likely that the camara batteries need to be charged.  Do I have to see a steady blue light on the camara?

I have requested an email when the charger is in stock.

Dannybear
Master
Master
If you have three green LEDs on the base station then the base has power, is connected to internet and connected to the cameras.
If you don’t have these showing up in the app then they are likely still connected to the previous owners account and viewable.

Have you performed the factory reset of the base station?

The blue led on the camera will show when fully charged using a arlo charger not the solar panel.

FriendlyMemo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have not performed the reset yet.  Does it matter if the camaras are not charged to reset the base?

I thought, if the camara batteries are not charged, the system is not going to work.

I put myself on a waiting list to be notified by email when the charger is in stock.  I would like to buy a charger with 3 

units.  I don't know if it exists for the Netgear Arlo Pro2, VMC4030P, battery model A-1.

Thank you for all your

Dannybear
Master
Master
The three LEDs green illumination suggests that the base station has already been claimed and at least one camera is communicating so working.

If you can I would suggest contacting the previous owner to have them remove the cameras and base from their account or you will not be able to onboard them into your account.

While in this state they will be able to see you.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

One thing you should be aware of.  If you want to activate all 6 cameras, then you will likely will need a paid subscription for Arlo Secure. 

The Pro/Pro 2 cameras do give you 7 days of cloud storage w/o a subscription, but there is normally a limit of 5 cameras per account to get that.  There were a couple of 6-camera kits sold that uplifted that limit to 6 cameras, but it would be hard to sort out if your system was one of them.  I'm tagging the mods, in case they can figure that out for you somehow:  @JamesC and @ShayneS.   

@FriendlyMemo wrote:

The camara model is VMC4030P

Netgear Arlo Pro2

To clarify the "Netgear" bit - Netgear owned Arlo for a while, but divested Arlo back in 2018.

@FriendlyMemo wrote:

I have not performed the reset yet.  Does it matter if the camaras are not charged to reset the base?

You need to first add the base station to your Arlo account - then add the cameras.  It doesn't matter if the cameras are not charged.

So try resetting the base (using a paper clip), and then see if you can add it to your account. 

FWIW, @Dannybear's assessment is correct - it looks like the previous owner did not remove the cameras and base from their account.  Which means that they still can control those cameras and see the footage.  If you have a way to contact them, it might be good to do that. 

@FriendlyMemo wrote:

I put myself on a waiting list to be notified by email when the charger is in stock.  I would like to buy a charger with 3 units.  I don't know if it exists for the Netgear Arlo Pro2,

There is a standalone battery charger that can charge two batteries at the same time here: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/accessories/VMA4400C-100NAS.html

The camera chargers can only charge one camera at a time. Although the indoor charger appears to be out-of-stock at arlo.com, you can spend a bit more and get the outdoor charger instead: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/accessories/VMA4900-100NAS.html