VMB3500

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Jillywon
Follower
Follower

I really don’t know what board or even what cameras I have - they were given to me. Very basic without usb or SD cards.

I have a general question about the base station. What’s the purpose and how does it work? I have a VMB3500. Does it have its own wifi signal should my home wifi be offline? Does it target a VPN or can it be directed to one? 
will the cameras still record and report to the app when wifi is restored?

thanks in advance. 

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jillywon wrote:

I really don’t know what cameras I have

1. Open the housing and remove the batteries.  There's a label inside.
  2. Or go into the support area of the app, select the camera, and scroll down to the product id field.

@Jillywon wrote:

I have a general question about the base station. What’s the purpose and how does it work? I have a VMB3500. 

Your base connects to your router with ethernet.  The base creates a closed wifi system that the cameras use.

You can think of the base as a dedicated router for the cameras.

@Jillywon wrote:

Does it have its own wifi signal should my home wifi be offline?

As I mentioned above, it does have it's own wifi signal.  The cameras will still work if you shut off your home wifi.

But the cameras won't work if you power off your router, or if your internet fails.  The base needs to be in contact with the Arlo cloud for the camera to work.

One thing you can do is purchase a UPS that will power your router and your base if the main power fails for a while.

@Jillywon wrote:

Does it target a VPN or can it be directed to one? 

No.

@Jillywon wrote:

will the cameras still record and report to the app when wifi is restored?

Home Wifi disruptions won't affect operation.  But internet disruptions will.