Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Trouble connecting Arlo Essential to HughesNet satellite

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
jadair
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having issues using new Arlo Essential XL with HughesNet satellite. We have the 25Mbps service so should have enough bandwidth. I can setup the camera with the app (also had to do a firmware update) but the app just says the camera is offline. I set the camera right next to the modem/router. Checked with speedtest.net and I get around 20mbps down and 10 up, but latency is pretty high. My MacBook and ROKU TV connect fine. Do the Essential cameras (WiFi) work with HughesNet satellite service? Is there a config I need to change?      -Thanks, Jeff

12 REPLIES 12
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

May I ask which troubleshooting steps you have performed so far? I don't want to suggest any methods you have previously performed.

jadair
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. 

Our setup is Hughes Net with their WiFi modem, plus I added a Netgear Wifi router (set to pass through mode) to get added range. Both WiFi networks are active and each has 2.4 and 5ghz.

I went through the setup process on my iPhone first using the Netgear network. It recognized the camera but just stalled after that. I tried using the Hughes network with the same results. I moved to my house which has Google Fiber, was able to connect to the camera with then did a firmware update. After that it showed up in my Arlo app with my other cameras and ran for the week just fine. I then went back to the other house with the Hughes network, ran through the process again, and it finds and connects to the camera (chime on reading bar code), the camera shows up in my Arlo app, but never completely connects, just a spinning wheel in the camera window. Device Setting says "your Arlo device appears offline". 

I left the camera there siting next to the WiFi router, returned home and it still shows up in my app but with the same offline issue. So it appears to be a problem with the Hughesnet network. I can get my phone, computer and ROKU TV to all with with the WiFi, albeit slow. 

Hope this helps, 

Jeff

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I see, thank you for the detailed information. Please reach out to the Support Team to further investigate this issue you are experiencing. You can find several options for contacting support though the Arlo Mobile App by navigating to Settings/System/Support.

psjmike
Aspirant
Aspirant
Jeff,
I’m having the exact same issue. We’re you able to get this resolved? Thanks.
Mike
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @psjmike

Can you provide more detail regarding the issue you are experiencing? 

jadair
Aspirant
Aspirant

Still not working unfortunately. I have the camera sitting there connected to WiFi, but can't get it to connect in the app or upload any video. I suspect a latency issue with Hughes but if that's the case, can't see how other people get it to work. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@jadair

You do have the camera onboarded to your account in the Arlo app? you can see it in your device settings? 

jadair
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I can see it in the Arlo app, but it just spins and never shows or captures any video. 

Rockyrico1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Did this ever get resolved?  I have same problem - installed Arlo Essential to Hughes Net Wi-Fi…. Shows up on my list of cameras…but in settings under “connected to…” it shows “disconnected” and remains offline.  Help.  

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Rockyrico1

Does your router have any firewall that might be blocking the devices?

jadair
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I haven't configured any firewall settings. I can connect to the camera it just never loads any video. Everything else works; iPhones via WiFi, TV with apps like YoutubeTV, etc. Do you know of any users getting Arlo Essential cameras to work with HughesNet? I'm also wondering if having the Arlo Base Station would make a difference? 

Jeff

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@jadair

Did you happen to reach out to the support team so the can further diagnose and escalate your issue? I don't see a case open with any notes regarding this.