Solar Panel Will Not Charge Due To Cold Weather

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ssingerss
Aspirant
Aspirant

There was nothing to indicate that the solar panel will not be effective in cold weather.

I live in Pennsylvania where it is cold much of the year. It is unacceptable to not be warned of this prior to purchase.

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's not a solar panel issue - it's a li-ion battery one. Charging below freezing is detrimental to the battery.

ssingerss
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, again, that was not indicated when I purchased the camera. 

Much of the country experiences low temperatures, what is the use of the camera in that case?

Also, the temps have been around 40 degrees, not freezing.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ssingerss wrote:

Much of the country experiences low temperatures, what is the use of the camera in that case?

Also, the temps have been around 40 degrees, not freezing.

My own panel (used with an Ultra) charges until it gets below freezing.  As @jguerdat says, that is a limitation of the lithium battery inside (it is for safety).  Mine does charge at 40 degrees.

I'm in New England, so it definitely is too cold to charge sometimes during the winter - though many days it is above freezing in the middle of the day.   I do need to take the camera indoors for charging from time to time in the winter.  But there still is some benefit to using the panel - I don't need to charge the camera as often as I did before I had the panel.