Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Right out of the box the cameras do not connect

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Str8outdabox
Guide
Guide

Bought yesterday and spent all day then myself trying to figure it out.

Now today spent all day with support trying to get the cameras right out of the box to connect.

They do not.

I went to comcast to get a new router and the result is the same.

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Lots more details would be useful for us to help. What have you tried and what do you see? If connecting to WiFi, make sure WPA2 is used for security. Try the following FAQ to see if that helps:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062438/How-do-I-factory-reset-and-re-sync-my-Arlo-camera

Str8outdabox
Guide
Guide

Hi I just tried again making sure the wifi security is set to WPA2 and its the same result.

The camera fails to connect to the network.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And all the details needed? Did you try the reset?

Str8outdabox
Guide
Guide
I was on the phone with Arlo support for most of the day earlier this week.
  I went through all the steps.  Holding the reset button for 60 seconds over and over again.
It's not very easy to even press the button and hold it for that long of time.  Yes I reset the cameras over and over again.  They still do not connect.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Check your router's SSID and password for the 2.4GHz band. Spaces and non-alphanumeric characters may be the issue in which case you'd need to change them and reconnect all your other devices. You could set up a guest network (most, if not all, current routers support this) for the purpose of connecting the cameras with a more vanilla SSID and password.

Str8outdabox
Guide
Guide

I did double check the wifi name and password yes.  That is not the problem.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Str8outdabox wrote:

I did double check the wifi name and password yes.  That is not the problem.

Are you getting a chime when you get to the step when the QR code is scanned?

If you are, then check the router's attached device list, and see if the camera shows up there.

Also, if you are using the app, then try switching to a PC (my.arlo.com).  That sometimes will work when the app fails.

It is important to select the right model when you use "add device". 

1. If you purchased gen 2 cameras, make sure that you are selecting gen 2 in the app.  If you don't see that choice, then the camera might not yet be supported in your country.
  2. There are two outdoor gen 1 cameras - one has a spotlight, the other doesn't.  If yours have a spotlight, make sure you select the appropriate camera (similarly if it doesn't).

Str8outdabox
Guide
Guide

You really think I can't find the correct product?

I returned the camera to the store. 

This has been a huge waste of time.