Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Remote access to local storage on 4540 using port forwarding

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Gordy-R
Aspirant
Aspirant

I need some guidance .

I want to be able to access my local storage remotely using the port forwarding option . 

I have setup the arlo 4540 with 3 essential wireless cams .  Everything works perfectly.  After verifying the ports on the 4540 hub 

I followed the steps to configure my router and opened the int/ext ports and IP address . 

I  verified the ports using " canyouseeme.org" and they are open . 

I followed Arlo steps and plugged ethernet cable into router , plugged power to hub , and enabled port forwarding on hub thru arlo app .

My issue is Status always shows "not available" .

Can anyone help me setting up Port forwarding so status changes to available or working ? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the power is lost both the router and hub will reboot which can lead to the hub getting a different IP address compared to what you set up for port forwarding. The best way to fix this is to use the router's settings for the DHCP server to assign a fixed address for the hub. That way it will always have the correct address and you won't need to edit your port forwarding settings again.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you're doing this at home while connected to your WiFi, disable the phone's WiFi. Use of cell service only should work.

Gordy-R
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you SO VERY MUCH ! 

I was at my wits end trying and failing so many times .

You have made my day . 

I followed your advice and turned off WIFI ,,,  and finally after hours of researching port forwarding and setting up 4540 with PF , and then doing numerous  attempts to connect,  the Status finally  now shows as " Available"  . 

My next step to conclusively prove everything works is to try accessing the local storage remotely outside my home network coverage area.  

Last question ... in the case of power failures , does the port forwarding return to the new settings I just connected with ?  

I truely appreciate your help .

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the power is lost both the router and hub will reboot which can lead to the hub getting a different IP address compared to what you set up for port forwarding. The best way to fix this is to use the router's settings for the DHCP server to assign a fixed address for the hub. That way it will always have the correct address and you won't need to edit your port forwarding settings again.

Gordy-R
Aspirant
Aspirant

Many thanks again .  I am very appreciative of your input . 

I had  already changed the DHCP setting for the hub from Dynamic to Reserved  as part of the port forwarding process.  

Everything is perfect now .... let's hope all stays well and the system continues to deliver its intended functions over  time . 

Thanks again ! 

LewInVT
Aspirant
Aspirant

I would like to express my appreciation to those who contributed to this thread.  It made my first experience setting up port forwarding quite painless.

For anyone who has an eero router, I found this page very helpful for setting up the router.