Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

New update is awful

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Jshuckell
Initiate
Initiate

This is update they forced down our throats is awful.  Now nothing works and the way you program things makes no sense. Whoever the idiot is that designed this should be fired 

11 REPLIES 11
Jshuckell
Initiate
Initiate

The updated app throws out all the programing you used to have and makes zero sense anymore.  I have no idea why they did this and what idiot designed the new system. I suspect he is a tech guy that hasn't met a person to communicate with in years.  You know how Apple makes things intuitively simple, this is the opposite of that.  

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

I would imagine that the new UI is designed to make arlo more money. This is likely the reason you can’t revert it. Going back reduces arlo revenue.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jshuckell,

Is there a specific feature or aspect of the updated UI you're having trouble with? Let us know the details and we may be able to assist here on the community.

JamesC

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DannyBearAgain wrote:

I would imagine that the new UI is designed to make arlo more money. This is likely the reason you can’t revert it. Going back reduces arlo revenue.

I don't think that's it.  I think they genuinely believed it offered a better experience, and thought all users would be on the new UI by now.   In some respects it is better organized.  But they failed to consider some pretty common use cases, so there are things that could be done fairly easily before, and are either difficult or even impossible to do now.

Their ability to fix the issues people here have raised is limited, because they (mistakenly) hard-wired the home security system with buttons for each the the three modes.  Reversion would have to be limited to people who didn't purchase the security system, and supporting two UIs forever is clearly not a viable plan.  

FWIW, the idea of "home" "away" and "standby" isn't something Arlo came up with it, there are quite a few other security systems that are built on that framework.

Mustang860
Aspirant
Aspirant

What happened to the colored zones ? So you can block out things to no be notified on ...it's gone or where can I find it please. ?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mustang860 wrote:

What happened to the colored zones ? So you can block out things to no be notified on ...it's gone or where can I find it please. ?

Activity zones are still there.  Go to the devices page, then select the three dots on the upper right.  Then the settings wheel for each camera should appear.  Select the settings wheel for the appropriate camera, and you will see an entry for activity zones.

Mustang860
Aspirant
Aspirant

That is wrong,but I found it..

Those 3 dots don't bring me to settings, asked if I want a widget.. somehow I found it though if you touch the screen at the 9:00 position, the settings star shows up in the top right corner... and then it's business as usual , like the old format, thank you for your help,  take a look at that and you'll see what I mean..

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mustang860 wrote:

That is wrong,but I found it..

Those 3 dots don't bring me to settings, asked if I want a widget.. 

I think you must have beeen on the dashboard screen - not the devices screen.

You can't add widgets to the devices screen.

Mustang860
Aspirant
Aspirant

Screenshot_20231029_160258_Arlo Secure.jpg

Mustang860
Aspirant
Aspirant

Maybe,I don't know but I think I'm set now..thank you

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

As I thought.  You are on the Dashboard screen (I can see the highlight on the bottom left).

You get to the Devices screen by pressing on the choice immediately to the left of Routines.