Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

My Arlo cam doesn't record all activity.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Trudy_G
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo security cam doesn't pick up all activity.  Sometimes, it will record some activity but not other times.  Why?

I saw some deer on my lawn but the camera didn't record their activity.  Other times, I will get videos of the deer.

Best answers
  • StephenB
    Guru
    Guru

@Trudy_G wrote:

My Arlo security cam doesn't pick up all activity.  Sometimes, it will record some activity but not other times.  Why?

The cameras use PIR sensors (passive infrared) to detect motion.  These have a nominal range of about 22 feet, so if the deer are farther away the detection won't be as reliable. 

The sensors are also arranged to optimize detection of things moving across the field of view.  If the deer are moving into the field of view from the top, it is less likely to pick them up. 

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Trudy_G wrote:

The cameras use PIR sensors (passive infrared) to detect motion.  These have a nominal range of about 22 feet, so if the deer are farther away the detection won't be as reliable. 

The sensors are also arranged to optimize detection of things moving across the field of view.  If the deer are moving into the field of view from the top, it is less likely to pick them up. 

Trudy_G
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  I have to say that I'm very disappointed with this Arlo Camera.  I was working good for the first few months.  Then, when I started paying for a subscription, it seems I started having problems.  We get a lot of deer on our front lawn during the night.  They eat from our bird feeders.  I enjoy watching them the next morning on our recorded videos.  We know the deer have been here.  The feeders are empty.  Last night, I only had one recording and all I saw was a quick recording of a deer leaving.  Our front lawn is very small.  It's only about 12 feet to the street.  I should get pictures of every deer and every car that passes.  But, that's not happening.  

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tried to increase the "sense" level?

I would move it up a couple of percent and then test... do again if needed till you start seeing false triggers.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------