Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

I have 2 Arlo Essential Cameras Where The Light randomly stays on and drains the battery

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
surf4soul
Tutor
Tutor

I have reset and resync the cameras and the both still randomly do this about once per week. Any idea why light will just stay on and drain the battery? 

I have search and found no real fix for this. 

21 REPLIES 21
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

How long will the spotlight remain on? Is it possible that you (or someone else) is activating the spotlight manually? If not, use Settings, Support for a possible replacement of the cameras. Note that you have to have a subscription to do this.

surf4soul
Tutor
Tutor

They just stay on until battery dies.  I just think its weird that more then 1 camera is doing this. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@surf4soul wrote:

They just stay on until battery dies. 

Have you tried turning the camera off and then on again in the camera settings?

surf4soul
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, If I happen to catch the lower battery warning when it starts to drain the battery I turn camera on and off and it will turn the light off.

I have re synced the camera also many times to try and fix this. Also checked for any updates etc....  Its almost like the light sensor is faulty. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@surf4soul wrote:

Its almost like the light sensor is faulty. 

Could be part of the puzzle, but it still should only be on when the camera is recording.

Are the cameras still under warranty?

surf4soul
Tutor
Tutor

Sadly no more warranty. But this been happening since the beginning. 

Moose_69
Initiate
Initiate

I have 2 of these cameras that do the same thing. The spotlight will not turn off and drains the battery. Tried resetting, resyncing...... Nothing helps. Ready to pack them all up and send back. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Moose_69

Please reach out to the Support Team to further investigate this issue you are experiencing. You can find several options for contacting support though the Arlo Mobile App by navigating to Settings/System/Support.

Moose_69
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks for the reply. I have already contacted the Support Team and to be honest the person I talked to didn't seem to have much knowledge on the cameras. He tried telling me that because the setting for the spotlight  is set to "Constant" this was normal that I need to change the setting to Flash or Pulsate.  All 4 cameras have the same setting "Constant" and only two intermittently stay on till the battery dies. 

Red15Baron
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just purchased an Ultra Smart Hub & an Essential Spotlight Security Camera. I'm able to access the live view AND the spotlight remains on all the time. Any help with these problems will be appreciated. Thans in advance. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Red15Baron wrote:

Just purchased an Ultra Smart Hub & an Essential Spotlight Security Camera. I'm able to access the live view AND the spotlight remains on all the time. Any help with these problems will be appreciated. Thans in advance. 

Does turning the camera(s) off in the app also turn off the spotlight?

Red15Baron
Apprentice
Apprentice

No, When I disable the camera, the spotlight remains on.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Red15Baron wrote:

No, When I disable the camera, the spotlight remains on.

This is when using the "device on" control in the device settings wheel?  (that is, turning it off - not disarming it).

Red15Baron
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, StephenB, I now have BIGGER problems. I Reset my smart hub and I've tried to reset my camera by pressing the button on the bottom of the camera and it says that I should see a blue flashing light, but there is no blue light flashing. Also, one of the original problems, i.e. the spotlight staying on is still a problem. I can't find the camera on the app because I can pair the camera to the hub. HAPPY!! please. 😞

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the reset fails, the quickest solution for a faulty camera is to swap at the store.

Red15Baron
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you for your help, StephenB, I've managed to fix the problem, but I don't know how I did it. 😒

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello, 

Are you still experiencing this issue? It looks like there was an update that resolved this issue. 

Raed
Initiate
Initiate

Same problem here.

Awaiting update, researching if manual update is possible 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Manual update is not possible. The only ways to try to force an update, assuming there actually is one, are 1) restart the camera, 2) check the firmware version in the camera settings to see if an update is noted or 3) remove and re-onboard the camera.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you still experiencing this issue? there has been an update and this issue should now be resolved.