Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Help

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Muirs2004
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi just wanting to no can I connect my base station straight to my router?It is connected to my modem at the moment and it seems to go off line a lot was wondering if it would be any better going though my router.And this new app is horrible.

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Muirs2004 wrote:

Hi just wanting to no can I connect my base station straight to my router?It is connected to my modem at the moment and it seems to go off line a lot was wondering if it would be any better going though my router.And this new app is horrible.

It sounds like your "modem" might actually be a gateway (modem+router).  If it was a pure modem, then you'd only have one ethernet port on it.

You can check this by looking at your router's WAN IP address in its web ui.  If it is private address (192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, 172.16. 0.0 to 172.31. 255.255) then you definitely have a gateway.  Assuming that is the case, then you are actually double-routing.  That isn't a problem, though it would add an extra step if you ever want to do port forwarding.

You can connect the base to an ethernet port on your router instead.  That should improve your performance some when you are livestreaming the cameras.

On the off-line issue - how close is the base to your router?  If it is too close, then the signal from the wifi can overload the receiver in the base (creating interference).  It's good to put the base as far from the router as the cable will reach.

Muirs2004
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a router were the fibre comes into house then it has a separate modem,my base station gos to my modem not the router,can the base go directly to the router?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Muirs2004 wrote:

I have a router were the fibre comes into house then it has a separate modem,my base station gos to my modem not the router,can the base go directly to the router?

I answered this already

You can connect the base to an ethernet port on your router instead.  That should improve your performance some when you are livestreaming the cameras.

But I think are you confused on what you have.  Can you give me the manufacturer/model for the modem and also the router?