Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Essential XL Spotlight losing connection

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
eddiemw
Aspirant
Aspirant

I added this issue to an earlier reply about HomeKit but realized it wasn't related. I recently purchased 2 VMC2032-100NAS cameras since I still had some legacy cameras in my system. The new cameras are connected to my VMB4000r3 base and keep losing connection. They reset and connect quickly with no issues but have not stayed connected for over 24 hours. One of these cameras is no more than 15 ft from my base and both are in locations where I have never had connectivity issues. None of the solutions on this issue I read have helped I have reset 3x. At this time both of these new cameras (Driveway and Red Rock 1) are disconnected. Thanks for any help

7 REPLIES 7
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

eddiemw,

How often does this happen? Are there any consistencies around the issue (happens at the same time of day, when motion is being detected, etc.)?

JamesC

eddiemw
Aspirant
Aspirant
There doesn’t appear to be any consistency. After the last reset both cameras have disconnected and reconnected a few times currently as I am typing the camera with a better signal (Red Rock 1) is disconnected and Driveway is connected. I have a geofencing/ schedule program set up. Don’t know if it makes a difference but both cameras as well as 8 others are connected to my base and the base is plugged into an Orbi router right next to it.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

eddiemw,

If possible, i'd recommend relocating (temporarily as a test) the cameras close to the base, within a few feet or so, and test to see if you experience the same behavior. This will give some insight on whether the location of the cameras is an issue.

JamesC

eddiemw
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am certainly willing to try that. But now for the last 24 hrs or so my Driveway cam has stayed on (farthest of the 2 cams). My RedRock 1 camera which is the closed to my base was off for this time I did a full factory reset on that camera this morning (15 sec reset button Previously just did a "remove" from the app) and will monitor the results and give you feedback. I know I can get working cameras, I had legacy cameras in much further locations working for many years. My biggest concern is these camera were purchased from Costco and I don’t want to pass my return window if I need to change camera to Pro or Ultra.

eddiemw
Aspirant
Aspirant
The camera just lost connection so I will bring it indoors asap and test it. Thanks
eddiemw
Aspirant
Aspirant
The camera was placed indoors less than a foot from the base and remained connected for about 24 hrs so I moved it about 10 ft away still indoors and it remained connected. Since there were no disconnections I moved it outdoors just on the other side of the wall where it was located indoors and within a few hours it lost connection. The other camera was left in it’s original location and lost connection and reconnected at least 4 times. The wall were this camera is located is mostly large windows. I can’t connect Wi-Fi directly because I am using HomeKit. Thanks
eddiemw
Aspirant
Aspirant

I seem to have found a solution, at least for the camera closest to my base. I went to the 2.4 GHz setting on my Orbi router and changed the channel from "auto" to channel 11 and now the camera that is closer keeps connection. The other Essential camera is 2 bars and I guess not stable enough to keep a connection consistently.