Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ToneControl
Aspirant
Aspirant

I want to install my Arlo Essential XL camera upside down (i.e. the Arlo name on the side of the camera will be upside down) using the screw hole underneath and using my own bracket mechanism from the eaves of the house. This will allow me to look at incorporating an anti theft piece to stop the whole camera being stolen.

Are there any issues with upside down installation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ToneControl wrote:

There is a video setting that will let you invert the image.

One thing to keep in mind is that motion sensitivity is greatest at the bottom of the field of view (when not inverted). That is due to the placement of the passive infrared (PIR) sensor.  So if you flip the camera, that will shift to the top of the field of view.

Some have expressed concern about moisture getting into the camera through the USB charging port when the camera is inverted.  You could apply some silicon grease if you are worried about that (though the eaves or antitheft mount might also preclude that possibility in your case).  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ToneControl wrote:

There is a video setting that will let you invert the image.

One thing to keep in mind is that motion sensitivity is greatest at the bottom of the field of view (when not inverted). That is due to the placement of the passive infrared (PIR) sensor.  So if you flip the camera, that will shift to the top of the field of view.

Some have expressed concern about moisture getting into the camera through the USB charging port when the camera is inverted.  You could apply some silicon grease if you are worried about that (though the eaves or antitheft mount might also preclude that possibility in your case).  

ToneControl
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. Very much appreciated.

I will take all of this into consideration during installation.