Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
JKD24876
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently added constant power to my Arlo Essential Spotlight cameras and found that while connected to power they constantly go offline and I have to manually reboot and connect the camera to the base station.  I have found that if I simply run them only on their batteries I do not have the problem.  Is running the cameras on constant power just simply not an option?

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

JKD24876,

No. However, there is a solar panel available for Arlo Essential cameras they may fit your needs. You  can find official Arlo accessories here: Arlo Accessories

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

JKD24876,

We do not recommend that you use non-Arlo branded accessories with your Arlo cameras as this may cause damage or inconsistent behavior like you're experiencing here.

JamesC

11 REPLIES 11
dcfox1
Master
Master

Are you using the charger outside? There is no AC outdoor power cord for the Essential, Just a Solar panel. It should still work while charging inside. The FAQ here say to bring the cam inside to charge. You may be though using an AC cord for another model that is the problem. 

JKD24876
Aspirant
Aspirant

While plugged in cameras will run for a period of days and then inevitably will go offline.  If left unplugged to run on their batteries, the cameras work fine and remain online.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JKD24876,

How often has this happened? Are you able to easily and consistently reproduce the issue?

JamesC

JKD24876
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes, happens each time the camera is plugged into power.
JKD24876
Aspirant
Aspirant
All three cameras do this when connected to continuous power. I’m assuming they are not designed to do this or somehow it is the aftermarket outdoor rated power cable I’m using. Interesting how they’ll work for days before going offline.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JKD24876,

Are you using a third-party charging cable or an official Arlo branded charger?

JamesC

JKD24876
Aspirant
Aspirant
Third party.
JKD24876
Aspirant
Aspirant
It does not appear that Arlo makes a weather rated charging cable for the Essential cameras.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JKD24876,

We do not recommend that you use non-Arlo branded accessories with your Arlo cameras as this may cause damage or inconsistent behavior like you're experiencing here.

JamesC

JKD24876
Aspirant
Aspirant
Does Arlo make an outdoor charging cord for the Essential cameras?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JKD24876,

No. However, there is a solar panel available for Arlo Essential cameras they may fit your needs. You  can find official Arlo accessories here: Arlo Accessories

JamesC