Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Best night vision camera

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
tbyst1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I have 4 Arlo pro 2 cameras with  hub, in addition to the wireless doorbell.  

They work great in the daylight, but the first time using them outdoors at night and I noticed they lack picture quality in my opinion (for my new purpose). 

I know these are older cameras. Is there a newer Arlo camera that takes good quality nighttime recordings?   Specifically, to be able to determine what kind of vehicle driving by at night in its activation area?

Thanks for any advice.  

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@tbyst1 wrote:

I have 4 Arlo pro 2 cameras with  hub, in addition to the wireless doorbell.  

They work great in the daylight, but the first time using them outdoors at night and I noticed they lack picture quality in my opinion (for my new purpose). 

Are you seeing this issue with both the Pro 2 cameras and the newer doorbell?

Nightvision range depends on the IR spotlights built into the cameras.  These have limited brightness (needed to limit power use).  One option is to get a third party IR floodlight.  These generally automatically turn on after dark and turn off at sunrise.  You'd need to power it from with AC.  

Newer Arlo cameras have similar IR spotlights, so they will illuminate about the same area.  Though if your cameras were purchased used or renewed (likely if you just got them), it is possible that the IR LEDs have dimmed over time.  If you get a new Arlo camera, you will need a subscription to get any cloud storage (as you do for the doorbell).

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A Pro 3 FLOODLIGHT may be what you're looking for, if you don't care about it being very obvious.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

A Pro 3 FLOODLIGHT may be what you're looking for, if you don't care about it being very obvious.

If you are ok with a white floodlight (not IR), then this could work.  It's quite bright, and covers a fairly large area.

How far away are the vehicles from the camera?

tbyst1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was hoping not to use the floodlight, but if that's the only option, it may work from my garage.  That is if it can capture cars on the road.  That camera will be 20-25 yards away.

My other outdoor camera is 10 feet, but that one I can't use the flood light being closer to the road (I don't want to blind them:)).  I was hoping IR would work at that distance.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

That is if it can capture cars on the road. That camera will be 20-25 yards away.

My other outdoor camera is 10 feet, but that one I can't use the flood light being closer to the road (I don't want to blind them:)). I was hoping IR would work at that distance.

None of the cameras will operate at the distance you want.... The only camera that will detect at that range is no longer produced ( the Q cameras which had pixel change detection over the IR detection as in the cameras now ).... Not to mention the IR illumination drops off after 15-20 feet.

External IR floodlights will work if placed out far enough, the ones I have used cover 50ft which is a big improvement over the camera's IR, but still not enough to work for you.

Here's ( attached ) a pic from 75 feet away with a Q cam... the video is better but still at night the lights and motion wash out the pic/video enough to make them not really usable.

vlcsnap-2023-03-17-10h02m32s037.jpg
--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@tbyst1 wrote:

I was hoping not to use the floodlight, but if that's the only option, it may work from my garage.  That is if it can capture cars on the road.  That camera will be 20-25 yards away.

I don't think my Pro-3 floodlight will reach that far.  It's aimed a bit downwards, and covers about 40-45 feet away.  Perhaps more importantly, the light is also triggered by motion, and the motion range of the PIR sensors in the cameras is 20-25 feet.  Cameras further away can sometimes pick up vehicles, but not reliably.  

You can get IR floodlights that will cover that distance, so an IR flood could be placed at the garage. As suggested above, these would turn on at sunset and stay on all night.  You'll likely see a low reddish light when they turn on (as you do with the Arlo cameras). 

tbyst1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for everyone's replies.  I appreciate the feedback.