Battery not holding charge

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Beunser
Aspirant
Aspirant

Battery not holding charge after 3 months of use. Very disappointing. What can I do?

19 REPLIES 19
Streak2
Master Master
Master

If the steps below do not work then best would be to contact support using the link at the bottom of this page.

https://kb.arlo.com/000063213/How-to-troubleshoot-Arlo-Essential-Outdoor-Series-Camera-charging-issu...

Beunser
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for taking time to reply. The batteries charge up fine when connected to 110vac. It’s that they don’t hold the charge. Battery goes to zero within 8-10 hrs and the solar panel doesn’t seem to provide enough energy to present the loss. I call call support line. Unit is only 3 months old

Beunser
Aspirant
Aspirant

After researching, my model VMC3050 is a 2nd gen with rechargeable batteries that can not be replaced.  Arlo suggests life of battery is 3-6 months, then they should be replaced…which I can not do. This seems like a bad design. Can it be returned or replaced under warranty?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Beunser wrote:

Arlo suggests life of battery is 3-6 months, then they should be replaced…which I can not do.

Actually Arlo doesn't say that.  Instead they say to recharge them.

Perhaps you found an old article for the original Arlo cameras - they used 4 CR123 batteries, which did need to be replaced.

@Beunser wrote:

Can it be returned or replaced under warranty?

You could try for an RMA (warranty replacement).  Get phone support using the app - don't google for a phone number.

I suggest that you disconnect the camera from the panel first, and see if that makes any difference.  There are quite a few users here who have reported that their cameras drain too quickly when connected to a panel.  FWIW, they generally aren't using VMC3050 cameras, but I still think that test is useful.

If the battery still drains quickly, then  you might try moving the camera to a different spot (with less activity), and see if that makes any difference.

One aspect is that you don't really know at this point whether the issue is with the camera or the panel.

Beunser
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks again for the reply. I do appreciate your feedback.  Camera goes from 100% charge to close to zero overnight. With little to no activity at my front door. When I first got the cameras 3 months ago, up until 2 weeks ago, the batteries held their charge. Then suddenly, they all seem to loose their charge quickly and the panels can’t keep them charged.  It can’t be the panel since it looses charge overnight. Can’t be the level of activity since it’s the middle of the night. I think the product design is flawed. They put poor quality batteries in their cameras. I’ll see if I can contact the warranty department.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Beunser wrote:

It can’t be the panel since it loses charge overnight.

I get why you think that, but I still recommend disconnecting the panel as a test.

Beunser
Aspirant
Aspirant

Stephen, you seem be be correct. When I charge the camera and leave the panel disconnected, it holds the charge. When I connect the panel to it, the charge drains in 2 days, even with good sunny days. Any advise on how to fix?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Beunser wrote:

Stephen, you seem be be correct. When I charge the camera and leave the panel disconnected, it holds the charge. When I connect the panel to it, the charge drains in 2 days, even with good sunny days. Any advise on how to fix?

I think it's likely a firmware issue in the camera.  

I'd leave the panel disconnected until you get the next firmware update, and then test again.

(I suggest noting the firmware you are running now, since the app doesn't notify you when firmware is updated).

Beunser
Aspirant
Aspirant

Version=4.12 (7365) released Jan 31, 2024. Is this the firmware?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Beunser wrote:

Version=4.12 (7365) released Jan 31, 2024. Is this the firmware?

No, that is the app version.

If you go into the camera settings, and look at "device info" you should find the camera firmware.

Beunser
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you. Found it. 1.2.2_512_9955b13.  It says No updates available. I will monitor per your suggestion. Thx again.

Lono808
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Beunser, I've been having the same problem with my cameras not holding a charge for more than a day or two, and I also have solar panels.  

Did it really solve the issue when you removed the solar panels from the cameras?  This just seems so odd to me, but please let me know if this actually works and how long your batteries stay charged now.  I would truly appreciate it.  Thanks!

Lono808
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

I am having the same issue where my cameras, which are connected to solar panels, do not hold a charge for more than a couple of days max.  Is your advice to disconnect the solar panels?  I am so frustrated with this problem! Thanks for any help that you can provide.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Lono808 wrote:

I am having the same issue where my cameras, which are connected to solar panels, do not hold a charge for more than a couple of days max.  Is your advice to disconnect the solar panels?  

It would be helpful to know if disconnecting the panels resolves the rapid battery drain.  So I would start by disconnecting at least some of them.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you dm me with the following information:

- Try and move cameras closer to the AP?
-Or move the AP closer to the cameras?
-Is there a WiFi extender in use?
-What kind of AP are you using?
-Is the solar panel mounted really close to the camera where it could possibly affect the antennas?  If yes can they provide a picture?

Lono808
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I'm sorry but I don't know what AP stands for, so I cannot answer your questions.  Sorry for not being tech-y! 😞

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Lono808 wrote:

Hi, I'm sorry but I don't know what AP stands for, so I cannot answer your questions.  Sorry for not being tech-y!

"AP" - access point.  

This is whatever device is creating your wifi (router, gateway, etc).

@BrookeN is thinking that the camera might not be getting a good wifi signal.  That is one thing that can cause battery drain.

That is certainly worth looking into, though I'd still suggest disconnecting the solar panel while you are investigating that possibility.

Lono808
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you very much.  I will try disconnecting the solar panel first.  I assume that if it's not getting good wifi signal, it means the cameras are too far from my router?  I don't know precisely how far they are or what the max distance is, but I'll try to find that info.  Thanks again for your help!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Lono808 wrote:

I don't know precisely how far they are or what the max distance is, but I'll try to find that info.  Thanks again for your help!

A better (and easier) way is to measure your internet speed at the camera location with your phone.  Use the Ookla app (speedtest.net) and disable your mobile data (just to be sure you are measuring wifi speed).

Note the upload results are more important than the download.