Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Battery life when camera sees lots of activity

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
photoguy33
Aspirant
Aspirant

After reading various discussions about extending battery life, it seems to me that each camera assumes that any motion should be recorded, opens a connection to the back-end servers, and sends data. That alone will drain the battery in areas where there are lots of motion even if the camera is disarmed.

Please correct me if I'm wrong: the camera is functioning as a "dumb" device with the "smarts" located on the back-end servers. I did my own test with two fully-charged cameras (purchased together), both disarmed. One (A) was set in the kitchen with lots of movement throughout the day. The other (B) face down on the table. After two days, the A was at 89%, B at 98%. 

That leads me to believe that if cameras are to be placed in high movement areas, they should be covered. Or perhaps there's a way for the servers to tell the cameras to stop sensing while disarmed. This issue is perplexing to me since I travel a lot and my last trip (2 weeks) I had two cameras go to 1%.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
photoguy33
Aspirant
Aspirant

Upon further testing, there appears to be minimal battery consumption when a camera is disarmed. I'm unclear why I was having issues previously. Closing this. Thanks for the assistance!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@photoguy33 wrote:

I did my own test with two fully-charged cameras (purchased together), both disarmed. One (A) was set in the kitchen with lots of movement throughout the day. The other (B) face down on the table. After two days, the A was at 89%, B at 98%. 

The cameras shouldn't be detecting motion and streaming video when disarmed (unless you livestream them of course).

Can you try that test again?  Except try running it both ways - first with (B) face down, and then again with (A) face down instead. 

photoguy33
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, StephenB. I'll give it a try over the next week and let you know.

photoguy33
Aspirant
Aspirant

Upon further testing, there appears to be minimal battery consumption when a camera is disarmed. I'm unclear why I was having issues previously. Closing this. Thanks for the assistance!