Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro, Ultra or Essential?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
lusterav
Tutor
Tutor

I currently have an Essential Spotlight camera with solar panel on the front of my house. I want to move it to the back door where I can mount it so I can reach it to bring it in and charge it without using a ladder. (The solar panel is just ok). I want to buy another Arlo camera for the front of the house that I can run the electrical cord through the exterior wall and plug it into an electrical outlet. I cannot figure out which Arlo camera I should get; very confused by the descriptions. Which one can I connect to an electrical source inside the house? Also, if I get the new camera, do I now need a base station or smart hub? I really don't want one. So does any camera besides Essential work without the base station and can I have 2 cameras programmed to my wifi at the same time? Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lusterav wrote:

So does any camera besides Essential work without the base station and can I have 2 cameras programmed to my wifi at the same time? 

You can definitely have multiple cameras connected to your wifi at the same time.

The Pro-4 and Pro 3 floodlight can also connect directly to your home wifi.  (Note the Pro 3 floodlight is not the same as the Pro 3). 

It would be ideal if Arlo had an outdoor cable/charger what was designed with cable pulling and electrical boxes in mind, but unfortunately they don't.

There is a 25" outdoor charging cable available for those cameras (VMA5600C-100NAS).  The charger is integrated into the cable, so it might be necessary to cut the cable in order to pull it through your walls.  The charger is a wall-plug - it might be possible to fit it (with a socket) into an over-size electical box.  The face with the plug is about 1 5/8" by 2".  It's about 1 1/4" thick (ignoring the plug).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lusterav wrote:

So does any camera besides Essential work without the base station and can I have 2 cameras programmed to my wifi at the same time? 

You can definitely have multiple cameras connected to your wifi at the same time.

The Pro-4 and Pro 3 floodlight can also connect directly to your home wifi.  (Note the Pro 3 floodlight is not the same as the Pro 3). 

It would be ideal if Arlo had an outdoor cable/charger what was designed with cable pulling and electrical boxes in mind, but unfortunately they don't.

There is a 25" outdoor charging cable available for those cameras (VMA5600C-100NAS).  The charger is integrated into the cable, so it might be necessary to cut the cable in order to pull it through your walls.  The charger is a wall-plug - it might be possible to fit it (with a socket) into an over-size electical box.  The face with the plug is about 1 5/8" by 2".  It's about 1 1/4" thick (ignoring the plug).

lusterav
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you Stephen for replying. You always give me straight answers and advice. I'm so glad you told me about the difference between the Pro 3 and Pro 3 Spotlight. It seems I would be interested in the Pro 3 Spotlight or Pro 4 so I can connect into my wifi without a base station. Perfect. As for the power cord, I saw the one you mentioned and others similar; the fact that the cord is built in to the charger is a problem. But as you said, maybe we can rig it by cutting off the charger. Thanks again for sound advice.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lusterav wrote:

I'm so glad you told me about the difference between the Pro 3 and Pro 3 Spotlight. 

the Pro 3 Floodlight (FB1001).

lusterav
Tutor
Tutor

My mistake. Got it. Thanks.