Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Essential XL longterm battery life

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
fanofai
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

The Arlo essential camera user manual states: "Your camera includes an integrated battery that can’t be removed."

I plan to hookup the Arlo essential camera to a solar panel to provide continuous charging. However, after a few years when the battery inevitably dies, should the entire camera need to be placed?

Is there any data on how long batteries last after which they cannot be recharged? 

Thanks,

fanofai

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Battery life depends on how it's charged, how many times, and usage...

No way to accurately know how long it will last. 

But most batteries these days are good for over 300 charge cycles.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
fanofai
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks TomMac..do you know where the 300 number comes from? I googled a bit and also checked the manual but can't get an official number.

-fanofai 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@fanofai wrote:

do you know where the 300 number comes from?

Not sure where you googled, but it is a pretty common answer.  FWIW, end of life for a battery is usually considred to be when the battery reaches 80% of its orginal capacity.

I don't think Arlo has a spec on this though.  But even if you charge it once a month (which is a unusually high for an XL model), 300 charge cycles is longer than the camera will last.

fanofai
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen..I would think 80% is still usable, esp. since I plan to hook up the camera to a solar panel giving it continuous charge, so the eventual drop from 100% ->  80% may not be a big deal. Shall try and see how it works out.

-fanofai