Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
SteveArnold
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’m looking to purchase the Arlo Essential outdoor camera. Will it work with either of my base stations? I have a VMB3500r4 and a VMB3010r2.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nope.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/Arlo-SmartHub-and-Base-Station-Compatibility

However, you can connect the new camera directly to your WiFi instead.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nope.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/Arlo-SmartHub-and-Base-Station-Compatibility

However, you can connect the new camera directly to your WiFi instead.

SteveArnold
Apprentice
Apprentice

I didn’t think so but I wanted confirmation.     

Thanks

ALSO.   Just to confirm.   I know I can connect this new camera direct to WI-FI but can I access the camera remotely when I’m not on my home network?    From what I thought I read previously these new essential Wi-Fi cameras can only be accessed remotely via a base station.    Is that true?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

General operation continues while offsite. There are exceptions such as 2k or 4k live viewing which requires being on the local network but the Essential cameras don't support those higher resolutions.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SteveArnold wrote:

From what I thought I read previously these new essential Wi-Fi cameras can only be accessed remotely via a base station.    Is that true?

To clarify @jguerdat's reply.  You will need a subscription to get any cloud storage with the Essential (unlike the legacy cameras you have now, which have free 7-day cloud recording). 

With a subscription, you will have remote access to the Essential. 

You might have been reading about direct access to local storage - which some use as an alternative to the subscription.  That requires a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000), and has a number of limitations.

SteveArnold
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you for clarifying