AVD2001 Power Kit Missing

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
cwp101
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was given an Arlo AVD 2001 Essential Video Doorbell Wire-Free. Upon trying to install it I find that it will NOT ring my mechanical door chime.

After two time consuming and frustrating calls, well one call and one chat, with support I find out that the unit requires a Power Kit to ring the mechanical chime. There was NO Power Kit with the unit and the box was sealed when I got it.

Finally with Phone Support I was told that indeed the Power Kit is required to ring my mechanical chime. When I asked how to get the Power Kit I was told that any retailer like Best Buy or on Amazon.

I cannot find anything that looks remotely like this Power Kit. Can someone tell me where I can purchase the Power Kit? Without it the doorbell is useless.

Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cwp101 wrote:

I was given an Arlo AVD 2001 Essential Video Doorbell Wire-Free. There was NO Power Kit with the unit and the box was sealed when I got it.

Finally with Phone Support I was told that indeed the Power Kit is required to ring my mechanical chime. When I asked how to get the Power Kit I was told that any retailer like Best Buy or on Amazon.

Support gave you the wrong information. The AVD2001 doesn't need a powerkit, so there isn't one in the box. And it's a custom component, so you can't get one on Amazon or other resellers. I'm tagging @JamesC and @ShayneS in case they want to follow up with support.

The powerkit prevents the chime from ringing or buzzing when the doorbell isn't pressed. It's not there to ring the chime when the doorbell is pressed.

That's needed for the AVD1001 because a fair amount of power is always flowing through the circuit to power the doorbell. The powerkit diverts that power around the chime until the doorbell is pressed.

The AVD2001 is powered from its battery - which is trickle-charged by the transformer. That doesn't draw enough power to adversely affect the chime, so the kit isn't needed.

@cwp101 wrote:

Upon trying to install it I find that it will NOT ring my mechanical door chime.

What model chime is it? Are you sure that it uses 8-24 volts AC (and not DC)?

cwp101
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is an old mechanical chime that came with they house.

I measured 20 VAC on the doorbell wires where I'm mounting the AVD2001.

Thank you.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cwp101 wrote:

This is an old mechanical chime that came with they house.

Usually there is a model number inside (though not always). Most mechanical chimes would be compatible though.

@cwp101 wrote:

I measured 20 VAC on the doorbell wires where I'm mounting the AVD2001.

That should be working then, assuming the doorbell is configured correctly (told there is a mechanical chime). Have you double-checked the doorbell settings?

cwp101
Aspirant
Aspirant

StephenB

Sorry the mechanical chime is about 5 to 10 years old I replaced the old one with a unit from a local hardware store.

If I look at the settings for Traditional Chime I see Not Installed and I cannot change that.

In everything else the Arlo doorbell seems to work. It is only sounding the mechanical chime that fails and I know that the mechanical chime works as there is 20VAC on the wires and if I short the wires at the doorbell position the mechanical chime works and the dog barks (auxiliary doorbell).

It appears that the only solution is this Power Kit and there seems to be no way to get this unless I get a new Arlo unit.

How do I get the Power Kit?

Thank you.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cwp101 wrote:

If I look at the settings for Traditional Chime I see Not Installed and I cannot change that.

That is the problem (NOT the powerkit, which is not needed and not sold with the AVD2001).

Try onboarding the doorbell again, and see if you can confgure the doorbell for the chime. If that doesn't work, then contact support again.

cwp101
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried installing the doorbell again this afternoon.

Same results.

Thank you.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cwp101 wrote:

I tried installing the doorbell again this afternoon.

Same results.

Maybe try phone support again, and focus them specifically on your inability to enable the traditional chime setting.

cwp101
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just to be clear, you are telling me I do NOT need the power kit to enable the traditional mechanical chime with the Arlo AVD2001 Essential Video Doorbell Wire Free? Just connecting the 20vac doorbell wires will supply charging power to the AVD2001 AND enable the traditional mechanical chime?

Thank you.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cwp101 wrote:

Just to be clear, you are telling me I do NOT need the power kit to enable the traditional mechanical chime with the Arlo AVD2001 Essential Video Doorbell Wire Free?

You DO NOT need the power kit with the AVD2001.

@cwp101 wrote:

Just connecting the 20vac doorbell wires will supply charging power to the AVD2001 AND enable the traditional mechanical chime?

Correct.

ceelev
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the AVD 2001 "Wire free" doorbell. It rings fine.  My problem is that with out the power kit I need to manually remove the battery every week or so to charge it up.....pretty stupid.  My understanding is that the power kit allows for "trickle charging" of the battery so that I don't have to manually remove battery and charge....BUT NO ONE SELLS THE POWER KIT.

WHAT options do I have?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ceelev wrote:

I have the AVD 2001 "Wire free" doorbell. It rings fine.  My problem is that with out the power kit

The AVD2001 doesn't need the powerkit, so it is not included.  Your issue with charging is something else.