Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

32° and battery charging disabled

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
RegularJoe
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well, this morning it's 32°. A few of my wireless cam's batteries need charging. I brought this one in to put it on the charger... and am greeted with this message:

zzzz.PNG

I'm sure the others will be the same way.

It's been in the house for just a few minutes and it's taking a charge, now.

Makes me wonder about cameras with solar chargers connected... when the temperature is frigid in the winter, will the solar charger be able to do it's job?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RegularJoe wrote:

Makes me wonder about cameras with solar chargers connected... when the temperature is frigid in the winter, will the solar charger be able to do it's job?

The solar panel also will not charge the battery below 32° F.

This is to ensure both performance and safety.

Per https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-410-charging-at-high-and-low-temperatures

Many battery users are unaware that consumer-grade lithium-ion batteries cannot be charged below 0°C (32°F). Although the pack appears to be charging normally, plating of metallic lithium occurs on the anode during a sub-freezing charge that leads to a permanent degradation in performance and safety. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RegularJoe wrote:

The solar panel also will not charge the battery below 32° F.

This is to ensure both performance and safety.

Per https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-410-charging-at-high-and-low-temperatures

Many battery users are unaware that consumer-grade lithium-ion batteries cannot be charged below 0°C (32°F). Although the pack appears to be charging normally, plating of metallic lithium occurs on the anode during a sub-freezing charge that leads to a permanent degradation in performance and safety. 

RegularJoe
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

So, the battery chemistry itself would be damaged if allowed to charge at temps below freezing.

And, the way I read it, the battery is "programmed" not to accept a charge until it warms up?

I hope that's the case.... since the cameras seem to be rather hefty for their size (due mostly to battery, I'm guessing), it stands to reason that it would take more than just a few minutes for the battery core temperature to get to safe charging levels.  I had this one in the house and on the charger for just a few minutes before it started taking a charge.

So, during the winter months, I may bring them in when they're getting low and let them warm up.... instead of waiting til they're nearly dead and then doing it.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RegularJoe wrote:

So, the battery chemistry itself would be damaged if allowed to charge at temps below freezing.

Yes.  

In my area, the outdoor temp will go above freezing on most sunny days in the winter.  So the camera on solar power will charge some.  Though I do end up having to bring the camera indoors for charging from time to time.