Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Not recording locally Essential with Base Station

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
CPHard
Guide
Guide

I know this has been covered before on this forum (a number of times). But I have read through most of these posts for two days to try and work this problem out. 

I have three Essential Gen 2 Cameras and a Base Station. Initial free subscription has expired. I have a USB fitted to the Base Station. The USB has been formatted using the Arlo App. Under Device>Base Station>Storage Setting>Local Storage, the Storage Status states 'Good'. There is also plenty of space on the USB. Under Devices>Base Station>Storage Setting>Local Storage>, View Recording is toggled to 'On'.

When the system mode is set to 'Armed' I get notifications, but no recording.

I have no ability to select Record when I am viewing any of my Cameras live. 

Under Modes>Device Rules>Motion Detected, the Record toggle for each camera is greyed out.  

14 REPLIES 14
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CPHard wrote:

I have no ability to select Record when I am viewing any of my Cameras live. 

This is expected behavior, as manual recording requires a subscription.

@CPHard wrote:

I have three Essential Gen 2 Cameras and a Base Station.

A smarthub only records videos for the cameras connected to it.  So no local recordings are made for cameras connected to your home wifi.

Gen 2 cameras can't be connected to a base, as Arlo hasn't released that feature yet.  So if you have Gen 2, they must be connected directly to your home wifi.

Let us know if you actually have Gen 1 cameras that are connected to your base.

CPHard
Guide
Guide

Definitely Gen 2 Cameras.

The things you miss in the fine print!

I don't recall ever seeing this issue in print when I bought the Base Station. More proof that Arlo business plan is to force people into paying for subscriptions by making things unavailable, or just plain difficult. 

Aurorus2014
Tutor
Tutor

Hello!

I have Gen 1 Essential Camera and Doorbells and local recordings stopped working after the Secure app upgrade. I have a VMB4540r3. No subscription service. Help please.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Aurorus2014 wrote:

Hello!

I have Gen 1 Essential Camera and Doorbells and local recordings stopped working after the Secure app upgrade. I have a VMB4540r3. No subscription service. Help please.

Did you check the USB storage on a PC?

It'd be useful to know if the issue is with recording or playback.

brianc1217
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have this same issue as everyone else. My cameras do not record locally I don't have gen 2 cameras I don't believe. They recorded when I first got them, of course that was w/ the trial subscription. I have a HD hooked up to the base and it is perfectly fine and there is plenty of room on it. I will get rid of my alro cameras before I will pay for the subscription

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First question - are the cameras connected to your base/hub or to your WiFi? They must be connected to the base/hub for local recordings.

2nd q - have you ejected the drive to view it on a computer to see if recordings are there?

3rd q - what base or hub do you have? Only the VMB4540 and 5000 hubs can use the app to view local recordings.

Lastly, it may be the hard drive that's the issue if you're trying to power it from the USB port. An external power supply may be needed. Regardless, a cheap thumb drive holds a lot of recordings and doesn't have issues with the USB port.

brianc1217
Aspirant
Aspirant

Q1- Connected to the base if it was wifi it wouldn't record to the base

Q2- Yes there are no recordings

Q3- VMB4540r2

Q4- It's recongizes the HD and knows it there it's a USB specific HD. I had a flash drive in it and it wasn't recording then either.

I have also confirm the HD is not the problem

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Additional q - did you format the drive to FAT32? On a computer, you'll likely need to use a 3rd party program to do so. While connected to the computer, check for multiple partitions and remove them if found, then format to FAT32. Formatting can be easier done on the hub since it only supports FAT32.

Aurorus2014
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you all foe the replies.

Yes - Gen 1 cameras are connected to Arlo Base station (not my normal wifi network)

Recordings were fine up until the Arlo app update

No - I haven’t ejected the usb memory stick. Don’t feel like I need too because recordings to the base station (without a subscription was working)

So I suspect a patch is needed for the new Arlo App.

Do we have any Arlo developers reps here?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Aurorus2014 wrote:

No - I haven’t ejected the usb memory stick. Don’t feel like I need too because recordings to the base station (without a subscription was working)

I suggest doing it anyway. It will help confirm whether the problem is making recordings or accessing them.

Aurorus2014
Tutor
Tutor

Hello, I found the recordings

Its under Devices, Base Station, Storage Settings.

It’s nested inside all these menus which is not good, rather under the “feed” tab that replaced the “library” not good.

I have no events or recordings under “feed” - is it possible to show the locally stored recordings here?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Aurorus2014 wrote:

I have no events or recordings under “feed” - is it possible to show the locally stored recordings here?

Unfortunately, no.  Personally I think Arlo should add an option to do that.

Aurorus2014
Tutor
Tutor

Not good.

I can access, but my wife’s account (non-primary) cannot access - as far as I can tell.

Anyone know if you can set the second account up so the base station can be accessed under devices?

How do we give feedback back to Arlo?

I’m almost at the point of ripping all my Arlo devices out and going with something else. And I’ve had this system up and running for about just over a year.

If Arlo has to rely on software locking hardware functionality out, so that people move to a monthly subscription service to stay solvent - then I’m tapping out very soon.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Aurorus2014 wrote:

I can access, but my wife’s account (non-primary) cannot access - as far as I can tell.

Anyone know if you can set the second account up so the base station can be accessed under devices?

You cannot.  That is one of several limitations of direct access to local storage

• recordings can only be accessed from the app (not the browser)
  • recordings can only be accessed from the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • no ability to make manual recordings or take snapshots
  • no thumbnails - all videos need to be downloaded to the phone to view
  • remote access requires router setting changes that many find difficult (and which don't work with some internet service providers).

Unfortunately, not a good experience (and it has been this way ever since it was launched)