Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
abcdefghij
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am trying to add 2 new cameras to my existing system.

New Cameras:

2 x Essential Outdoor 2nd Gen

Existing System:

1 x SmartHub - VMB4000
  2 x Arlo Pro - H8

1 x Arlo Baby - ABC1000

When I try to add the new cameras, I get this message:

"Please upgrade to the new app before adding this device."

The problem is when I click the "Upgrade" button, I get this warning for the Arlo Baby:

"Not currently supported. A firmware update is not available at this time.  Upgrade Anyways?"

My Arlo app is Arlo Secure v4.14 on iOS.  I checked the App Store and verified this is currently the latest version of the app (just updated a few days ago).  I thought maybe there is a new app that it wants me to switch to, but the only other app I could find was Arlo Safe, which I believe is unrelated.

Two questions:

1) What/where is the "new app" it wants me to upgrade to?

2) Does the Arlo Baby definitely not work on the new app?  i.e. Do I need to give up the Arlo Baby in order to use the Arlo Essential cameras?

Thanks,

Aaron

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo Baby will work in the new UI.

JamesC

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

"New app" is a misnomer. The current app supports the old user interface (UI) that uses Library to view recordings as well as the new UI that uses Feed. The new UI is required for any camera starting with the Pro 5. The migration will occur automatically but the new UI is significantly different from the old one so you'll need to read FAQQs and poke around in the UI to figure out what is where. This FAQ may be useful to get you started:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062777/About-Arlo-Routines-Modes-Rules-and-Automations

A potential complication is that any custom modes you may have created won't transfer during the migration since the new UI only supports 3 default modes - you can't create more.

abcdefghij
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat Thanks for the reply.  I guess that answers my first question.  If I understand correct, it is technically the same app, but just switches me to a new UI.  The modes shouldn't be an issue for me since I only ever use arm/disarm.

Now I just need an answer to the 2nd question of whether or not Arlo Baby works with the Feed UI.  The warning I receive in the app before upgrading implies it does not.  However, I found this KB article which seem to suggest it would work (my reasoning is that if there are instructions on how to set up Arlo Baby with the Feed UI, then an update to Feed UI should be able to include the existing camera).

https://kb.arlo.com/000063021/How-to-set-up-the-Arlo-Baby-Camera-Arlo-Secure-4-0

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo Baby will work in the new UI.

JamesC

abcdefghij
Aspirant
Aspirant

@JamesC Thanks for verifying.

Unfortunately I am finding out now that the new cameras will not be part of the 7 day free storage, so I am going to return them and leave my current setup as is.  I wish direct access storage was better supported because I would love to use that, but I'm not interested in setting up a vpn or port forwarding.  My old Pro cameras have held up great over the years and battery life has been phenomenal.  I'm willing to pay for the quality devices, but disappointed in the push toward the cloud subscription plans.