Granted Access User Unable to View Anything

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Haizlee
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had a few VMC3030 cameras for a few years now and they’ve always worked great. I stopped using them for past year and a half or so and now I have reinstalled them onto my new home. I am trying to grant access to my boyfriend to be able to view these cameras. It shows on my app that access has, in fact, been granted to him (after he clicked on link that he received in the access email that was sent to him).  However, he is unable to view any of the cameras I have on my account. The problem is NOT that he sees the cameras available but can’t view footage … the problem is that he cant even see that cameras exist in the first place! It is wanting him to set up new cameras as if he is installing his own cameras.

Troubleshooting that we have done:

- double checked to make sure firmware on all cameras is up to date and that both of our apps is updated with latest app version (he has an android and I have an iPhone, if that matters at all)

- deleted him from account and re-added him

- granted him access without app already installed onto his phone as well as granted him access with app already being installed

- ensured he is marked as having access to each camera (there are a total of 3 cameras, all the same model)

I granted access to my ex a few years ago and never had any issues. I have since deleted him and deleted base station and all cameras and reconnected everything to my account. I have no issues with cameras in my own account. 

Help? 

Thank you so much!!

6 REPLIES 6
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

This is expected behaviour when you have a different UI experience to the granted user.

Check your app has a library or if it has a feed page and your friend has the same page, if not then it will not work.

You will likely need to upgrade to the new UI, you should see a path to it in the settings page.

To sum up, it will depend on how much you love the boyfriend since doing the upgrade will cause you a lot of discomfort in using the new app going forward. 

Haizlee
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you kindly for the response. I am not seeing anything about a UI in the settings page. Is there a link to it that you’re aware of or know the name of it in the App Store?

Thank you once again. 

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

https://kb.arlo.com/000062798/How-do-I-upgrade-my-Arlo-Secure-App-4-0-to-the-new-experience 

If you don’t have the message asking you to upgrade in the settings page then you must have the new UI experience that has a feed page instead of a library page.

If your boyfriend has the app showing a library page then he will need to upgrade to the app that shows a feed page.

Both the newer and older user interfaces are contained within the same app, but once you upgrade arlo will not let you go back to the older interface.

I can’t say I have read any positive reviews about using the newer app UI, only negatives.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DannyBearAgain wrote:

If you don’t have the message asking you to upgrade in the settings page then you must have the new UI experience that has a feed page instead of a library page.

I don't think this is correct.  Arlo has been cautious about upgrading users to "Feed", so you might not see the message even if you have "Library".

If you see "Library" in the app menu and want to force the migration to feed, then the following hack will also do that for you:  Go into add device, and start to add a Pro 5 camera.  That will fail if you don't actually have the camera.  But the workflow will migrate you to "Feed" before you get stuck.

Some limitations in "Feed":

• With "Library", modes were independently available for each wifi-connected camera (or each base if you use bases/smarthubs).  In "Feed" the modes apply to all cameras in the location.
  • There are no custom modes.  You can modify the three built-in modes, but cannot add more.
  • The combination of scheduling+geofencing currently doesn't work due to bugs.

My guess is that Arlo will add back custom modes, but that is just my speculation. 

Haizlee
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you kindly for taking the time to give me info about this. I do really appreciate it. 

Upon looking at my app, I have “library”, whereas my boyfriend has “feed”. I am using an iPhone and he is using an android. I am not seeing anything about upgrading within the app and I’ve already double checked to ensure I have the latest version of the app in the App Store.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@StephenB  has posted a process above for you to fast track you upgrading your app to the new arlo UI experience.