Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
wcrawfo5
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I’ve recently purchased an Arlo Essential 2K for outdoor use, and have been troubleshooting an issue maintaining connectivity and with battery drain. I believe I have found a work-around, but wanted to post my observations in case someone else has insight into what’s happening.

We have two WiFi networks in our home. The secondary network is broadcast by the cable company modem/router which broadcasts both 2.4/5 GHz on the same SSID. The primary network is via a Netgear Orbi mesh network router (RBR50) + satellite (RBS50) which are configured as access points only (routing function performed by cable company router) and also broadcast one SSID for 2.4/5GHz. All routers/satellites and the camera have up-to-date firmware.

Initially, I set up the camera while (presumably) connected to the Orbi satellite (RBS50). I believe this because I was just a few feet away, which is the desired location for the camera. Connection was quick and everything appeared to work. However we realized shortly after “successful” setup that the camera:

1) On the first instance of motion after initial setup or restart, would detect motion, report it via app notification, and record video of motion (normal)

2) On the second instance, would detect motion and report it via the app, then seemingly freeze. I assume this because the app would perpetually reflect the motion icon, and no recording would ever appear.

3) Hours (?) later, motion icon would eventually “time out” and go back to “no motion” but still no recording 

4) Subsequent motion would follow same pattern as 2/3

5) Battery was drained 100% to 0% in less than 2 days

I’ve since recharged and tested function doing initial setup on the secondary network, and this seems to work just fine without the glitch described above. Problem is, this network does not reach where I want the camera to go.

I’ve also tested doing initial setup while (presumably based on proximity) connected to the primary mesh network base (RBR50). To my surprise, this also appears ok. Even more to my surprise, I walked the camera back to the original location adjacent the satellite and cycled power - it appears to work ok still.

I’ll continue to monitor notifications and battery drain to confirm that this setup approach works.

Has anyone had a similar experience, or have any insight into this issue?

Thanks,

Will

9 REPLIES 9
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@wcrawfo5 wrote:

Initially, I set up the camera while (presumably) connected to the Orbi satellite (RBS50).

I’ve also tested doing initial setup while (presumably based on proximity) connected to the primary mesh network base (RBR50).

Mesh networks are designed to hand off connections to optimize perfomance.  So it really doesn't matter what you connected to during setup.  If the mesh or the camera decide that connecting to different mesh element is better, the camera connection will be switched.

@wcrawfo5 wrote:

Hello,

I’ve recently purchased an Arlo Essential 2K for outdoor use, and have been troubleshooting an issue maintaining connectivity and with battery drain. I believe I have found a work-around, but wanted to post my observations in case someone else has insight into what’s happening.

We have two WiFi networks in our home. The secondary network is broadcast by the cable company modem/router which broadcasts both 2.4/5 GHz on the same SSID.

The primary network is via a Netgear Orbi mesh network router (RBR50) + satellite (RBS50) which are configured as access points only (routing function performed by cable company router) and also broadcast one SSID for 2.4/5GHz. 

Are you trying to use the same SSID in both the Orbi and the ISP router?  You shouldn't be doing that.

@wcrawfo5 wrote:

I’ve since recharged and tested function doing initial setup on the secondary network

What do you mean by the "secondary network"?  

@wcrawfo5 wrote:

1) On the first instance of motion after initial setup or restart, would detect motion, report it via app notification, and record video of motion (normal)

2) On the second instance, would detect motion and report it via the app, then seemingly freeze. I assume this because the app would perpetually reflect the motion icon, and no recording would ever appear.

3) Hours (?) later, motion icon would eventually “time out” and go back to “no motion” but still no recording 

4) Subsequent motion would follow same pattern as 2/3

5) Battery was drained 100% to 0% in less than 2 days

These do sound like there was a connection issue.

Have you tried measuring your internet upload speed and packet loss at the camera location?  You can use the free Ookla app (speedtest.net) to measure that with your phone.  Make sure mobile data is turned off, and that the wifi is connected to the mesh SSID.  Get as close to the camera as you can (but no need to do anything risky if the camera is hard to access).

wcrawfo5
Aspirant
Aspirant

UPDATE: On my last post I claimed success moving the camera back to the original location. Turns out I hadn’t waited long enough, the camera presumably negotiated its way back to the satellite after I stopped testing. Now in its original location, connecting (presumably) through the satellite, the issue continues. I will move it back downstairs, wait a bit for it to renegotiate back to the base, and try again.

The SSID for ISP and Orbi are different - no issue there.

By “secondary network” I mean the WiFi broadcasting from the ISP router. It unfortunately doesn’t broadcast very far through the house, so it’s “secondary” in the event the Orbi (primary) is unavailable. It unfortunately is not strong enough at the desired camera location. 

Using Ookla I measured 268 Mbps upload speed and 0% packet loss next to the camera. Since it was via iPhone I assume it was 5Ghz, though. 

Seems the issue is either with the Orbi satellite 2.4GHz radio hardware, or something buggy in software/firmware between the two on either of the sides. 

I’ve about exhausted my knowledge and experience with network troubleshooting. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@wcrawfo5 wrote:

Seems the issue is either with the Orbi satellite 2.4GHz radio hardware, or something buggy in software/firmware between the two on either of the sides. 

FWIW, I used an RBK50 system for some years and had no issues with Arlo.  Though most of my cameras are connected to smarthubs.  Currently I am using an RBK860 mesh,

Can you turn the 2.4 ghz on the ISP router off?  It is possible it is creating some interference.

@wcrawfo5 wrote:

Using Ookla I measured 268 Mbps upload speed and 0% packet loss next to the camera. Since it was via iPhone I assume it was 5Ghz, though. 

The iPhone will connect to the 2.4 ghz network if it sees a stronger signal (and 2.4 ghz does have longer range). Still, I agree that 268 Mbps likely to be the 5 ghz radio.

If you are inclined to take another measurement at/near the camera, you can go into the advanced settings of the Orbi and reduce the power of the 5 ghz signal.  This is on the advanced tab, then select "advanced" from the right pane, and then "Wifi settings".  You'll see a "Transmit Power Control" settings for each of the radios.  You can reduce the power to 25% in the pulldown (that is the lowest option on my Orbi), and then try testing again.

Another thing you can try is to just turn off the satellite for a while, and see if that makes any difference.

What backhaul status are you seeing for the RBS50 on the "attached devices" page?

wcrawfo5
Aspirant
Aspirant

Some more testing and observations:

I turned off the ISP 2.4 GHz broadcast with no change in behavior.

With it remaining off, I’ve tried a few times to run a speed test through the satellite with the 5GHz transmit power on the Orbi turned down. But unfortunately I haven’t found a spot where I am reliably staying connected through the 2.4GHz radio. It seems my phone keeps jumping between the base and the satellite, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. I gave up on this test for now because of the next observation.

I brought the camera back downstairs and placed it near the base router. It is connected to the RBR50 as expected, but the issue continues to exist. If the issue were only with the satellite, I would have expected this move to resolve the connectivity issue.

Also of note, through the Arlo app, I’ve run the “Connection Test” while connected to both the base router and the satellite, and each time get a result which is the highest possible connection quality.

Backhaul status of RBS50 is Good.

wcrawfo5
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok - back with MORE confusion…

I made some moves to get the ISP router to broadcast strong enough to get a “Good” connection status at the install location. Re-added the camera successfully and tested out the motion sensing/recording multiple times and all worked. Went to sleep thinking it was resolved.

At some point, while still on ISP wifi, the problem has started again. Today, there were no recordings made and only 2 motion notifications despite many instances which should have triggered the camera. When I checked on it this afternoon, the “Motion detected” icon indicated motion, but per usual, no recordings.

Also if I haven’t said it, during these “frozen” periods I cannot access the live stream unless I restart the camera.

Could there be something strange in my ISP router settings which needs changing? Ports opened? Can the Arlo even be configured with a static IP? Any logs generated I can try to sift through?

FWIW - I have an Arlo doorbell camera which is connected via the Orbi and I’ve never had any issues with connection, recording, notifications, etc. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@wcrawfo5 wrote:

Ports opened?

Can the Arlo even be configured with a static IP?

No to both.  

You can reserve IP addresses in the Orbi router - likely there is also a way to do that with your ISP router.

If you move one of the cameras closer to the Orbi (or the ISP router), does the performance get better?

wcrawfo5
Aspirant
Aspirant

As far as I can tell, proximity of camera to ISP router does not affect performance; and certainly does not affect performance connected to the Orbi base or satellite.

I tried sniffing network traffic using Wire Shark last night after a camera restart, although I'm not very familiar with reading the captures. At first motion, the camera worked as expected and the capture showed network traffic at notable points (e.g., at first detection of motion, then at conclusion of motion).

At second motion, the camera continued with the same issue. During this capture, I saw network traffic only at the first detection of motion but there was no subsequent traffic. 

Not sure this is really helpful, other than confirming that network traffic is not happening when the camera is "frozen"

Really wish I would look at some sort of logs on the camera itself! 😐

Not sure where to go from here... I'll try contacting Arlo technical support again but I don't have high hopes...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@wcrawfo5 wrote:

As far as I can tell, proximity of camera to ISP router does not affect performance; and certainly does not affect performance connected to the Orbi base or satellite.

Signal strength and/or quality can still be an issue so moving the camera, especially closer to the router, is a valid troubleshooting step.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

@wcrawfo5 wrote:

Signal strength and/or quality can still be an issue so moving the camera, especially closer to the router, is a valid troubleshooting step.

I think the question here is what exactly is causing the camera to freeze.  That could be a connection drop, or it could be a hardware (or frirmware) fault in the camera.

So it would be useful to know if the camera ever freezes when it is fairly close to the ISP router (or a mesh element).  Not too close, since that can result in RF interference.  So a few feet away with no obstructions.

I am also wondering if the behavior changes when the ISP wifi is turned off.